PDA

View Full Version : Down Sweep

S73
12-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Anyone who runs this play. I know that Bellevue blocks this play by pulling tackle. Does anyone else run this play by pulling the guard and logging the end? In other words, does anyone here block this play just like down option?

Thanks,

S73

lkelly
12-27-2007, 01:20 AM
We would pull the guard and he would try and log the DE ... the TE would do his normal down block and wing would find the OLB or C if there was one. If the DE was a monster than the Wing would try to neutralize the DE until the guard got there.

To be honest we only ran the down and belly sweeps when it was obvious that the Def edge players were collapsing to the FB. So, naturally the play worked once or twice until the Def was forced to play honest. The belly sweep was also more successful than the down sweep. ...

our blocking schemes and backfield action were similar for both plays.

Coach Metz
12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Coach,
We pull the guard, but block the end with the WB. Basically, this play almost replaced our bucksweep entirely. One of the reasons we did this was because our guards have had trouble logging in the past. So rather than forcing them to do something they can't, we found an alternative.
Good luck,
Metz

Chuck Klausing
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree with Metz, I have done a lot of study of this play because it has been taught at my camps and many of the teams have sent me their cut ups. I have written some material that I will share on my E mail Attachments E mail me at clkb5401@comcast.net
Chuck Klausing