PDA

View Full Version : 7-8 yo

GroundnPound
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
How much do you think you can do with 7-8 year olds. I may be coaching ,y sons team this fall and would love to run this off. Can you all point me in the direction of a youth playbook? thanks guys

Coach Sadloch
02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Seven and Eight year olds don't have much of an attention span.
If anything try a modified 20 series (Sweep (HB), Trap or On (FB) and a Waggle. See what happens and be patient!

RedZoneShow
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I had 9 yo kids and we ran jet sweep with some comps. It did very well for us and we ran it from pistol as well. The main reason why we did this was because it was an easy add and hard for youth teams to stop more so if they haven't seen it much.

tnarum
02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok, honest question. What good comes from putting pads on 7 and 8 year olds? Is this really football or does it teach bad habits? I have parents that want our 7 and 8 year olds in padded football. I don't see any benefits. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Coach Sadloch
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Coach,
Not sure about your parents. Giving them the benifit of the doubt maybe it's a protection thing (Security Blanket). On that level I would like to see the kids have fun and learn the basics of the game. You can teach them plays but I doubt they will remember them the next day or maybe 5-10 minutes from when you put them in. Please excuse a Grandfather's ramblings I hope I
make some sense.

tnarum
03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Funny how one typo changes the entire meaning of a message.

Coach, I'm with you. I don't see any reason to ever put 7 and 8 year olds in pads. I don't see its benefit. I was asking for someone to give the benefits of putting pads on kids that young because I just don't see it.