PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Sweep vs. "46" defense

outlawjoseywales
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Last year I had a game where the team ran the 46 against us. Although they were superior to us athletically, I felt we didn't block this defense well enough.

What is the best way to block the "46" to the weakside.
The play is Rocket Sweep toward the weakside while in Red or Blue.
Thanks for your help in advance. OJW

rpnkoz
01-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Coach we had teams do that to us and we were able to beat them with rocket waggle. We ran rocket motion to the TE side and came back with the SE doing a post on the backside. The fake and flow to the rocket sweep really opened up the middle of the field.

Denny Dierick
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Based upon our rules this is how we would block Rocket Sweep to the right versus Bear 46.
SE - Stalk corner over you.
RHB - Pull step and arc around the DE aligned head-up or outside you. If DE
works outside, stay on him. If DE goes backdoor, climb to FS.
RT - Pull thru heels of DE and seal the LB over you.
RG - Pull flat and climb to FS.
C-LG-LT-TE Scoop block.

Change-up : Go to a "Nasty Flex" with SE and then have him "Crack" on DE and then arc RHB to the Corner.

Just my thoughts,
Denny Dierick

jcziska
01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Last year I had a game where the team ran the 46 against us. Although they were superior to us athletically, I felt we didn't block this defense well enough.

What is the best way to block the "46" to the weakside.
The play is Rocket Sweep toward the weakside while in Red or Blue.
Thanks for your help in advance. OJW

I would say not to worry so much about how you block the Rocket to the weakside, but more what you run underneath it. Weakside Belly and Belly Keep Pass would compliment the Rocket nicely.

outlawjoseywales
01-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks so much gentlemen.
I will put all these ideas in to action.
In this particular game, our weak Offensive Tackle had hurt his leg and couldn't move as well as we wanted him to.
He was not able to climb up and get to that Weak Backer (SS in the original 46). We had practiced the week before and thought we had a good plan, but they were so much better than us, then I didn't figure on the Tackle getting hurt.
Should have cracked with the Split-End.

These ideas will help me.
Thank you very much, OJW

JWright
01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Coach
Running the 46 verse the rocket is suicide. I personally think that trying to defend this offense with a three man secondary can not be done, unless the other team is superior. Here is the count vs. 46. The DE is number one, the CB is 2, then safety is 3 and the OLB is 5. If I run A Rocket 28 KG tan Crack we are off to the races out of a Blue R set.
How?
SE cracks 5.
PST: Tan blocks to 5
WB: blocks 2
FB: blocks 3
FSG: Pulls and Blocks ???

what if number one goes wide?
Then Ice...Ice...Ice and more Ice....

Well coach you say you need to run what you run no matter what they do?
Then we make a call on LOS and we are using a tag down scheme.
WB: 1
Tackle: Blocks 5 by reading the width of the wide one. If he is really wide then he will climb to 5. If he is not really wide then he will pull. The decision is his.
Guard: Pulls and blocks ???
FB blocks 2.

We are not worry about the eagle to that side. I also agree with the other coaches saying to out formation them. How would they align to empty sets? Trip sets? unbalanced sets? How would they align to what we call robin East R sets? These are sets in which the only guys to the left are the WB and guard.

46 defense cannot cheat except for a wide one and a 5 live or die. A four secondary defense can present many more challenges to the rocket than the three deep can. Suicide stunts, Jack and Jill stunts etc.. A three deep secondary you are not going to see it and a 46 defense you do not have to deal with a rover or SS like in a 4-4. General rule for me is if I see a 4-3 or 4-4 or 46 we are going to have a good night offensively. My favorite is 33. we saw that defense this year and we put up record numbers.

Hope this helps
Karjaw

outlawjoseywales
01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Coach, that helps alot, thanks.
You spelled it out so clearly I believe a monkey could figure that out. Monkey? That must be me. :)
OJW

JWright
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Coach
No Problem. Anytime.
Karjaw