PDA

View Full Version : Parent Help

coachm
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Coaches, I need help responding to a parent. I received an e-mail from a parent indicating that he plans to pull his son near the end of the football season so he can prepare for wrerstling. The kid is a championship wrestler, so he is certainly good, and this will be his first year playing football, as a senior. I know what I want to, and need to answer, but I want to get some insight from outstanding coaches that may help articulate a response that will get my point across and may change the parent's mind. He seems open to a least listening. I believe the kid will be a good player. Thanks!!

rpetrie
07-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Is this the kid or the parent making this statement? To me, the parent is irrelevent in the decision process, as long as the kid speaks up in the presence of YOU and the PARENT to what he wants from the experience. No kid in his right mind would start and committ to something for 12-14 weeks, then walk away. The parent also needs to respect your program and the efforts of ALL involved...most importantly his potential teammates. What if you're in the playoffs? There are a lot of ways to go about it...IMO: IF the kid is saying he's not in for the duration then he doesn't play. IF he says he's in all the way, then you have to take him at his word and hope he's true to his word. IF he bails then deal with it like any quitting situation that has previously occurred...no post-season, no lettering. Does you school district have a policy about quitting that affects the next season? That could be a glitch in his plans. Another thing to consider is...Are you willing to let him begin working out for wrestling after your practice? Does that open up doors for basketball players also and do you want that problem? I had a situation with a very good football player who also was a 2x State Qualifier in wrestling. He could do anything he wanted regarding "conditioning & running" outside of football. He could drill moves, but nothing live in the mat. If I found him trying to "cut weight" during football he was gone. Basketball players were allowed for casual shoot-arounds but no live games. I also have very good relationships with those coaches so they supported my expectations.

Good luck with your situation. Not sure I helped but what ever the decision understand it impacts situations for years to come.

33Belly
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I would politely tell the parent and player that you completely understand their situation and that you hope they understand yours. But if he isn't planning on being committed to the team for the duration of the season, then it is probably best if he focuses all of his energy on wrestling.

It is like the story about commitment and involvement. The chicken is involved in a breakfast of bacon and eggs, but the pig is committed.

Just my two cents

Coach Sadloch
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
It's amazing how kids today (parents included because some times I wonder what their mental age level is) want to be one sport athletes. My coaching staff had this discussion the other day. Too many people are making money today telling kids they are the next Peyton Manning, Michael Jordan, Derrick Jetter and Dan Gabel. The kids and parents should here it from all the successful professional athletes what they did during their high school careers. Maybe this would stop or at least slow down all the scams that are going on now a day.
Listen Coach, the kid is going to listen to the parent if he wants to be the next olympic gold medal winner let him and his parent go. There is no place for Individual attitudes on a team. Like Bo Schembechler said: It's the TEAM, The TEAM the TEAM. Hope this mad rambling helps.

texasstyle
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
In no way can we as coaches support quitting. I agree with all the above. We are supposed to be teaching life lessons. This situation likens itself to getting married to a girl till a better one comes along. I'd tell the parent this with a smile on my face and feel good about doing it. Hey go 0-10 with the kids that are all in and feel better about it than if you don't stick to your core. Good luck Coach.

msm
07-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Coach
Some great points from the other coaches, the kid has to be all in, if not let him go and move the next guy up, take care of the kids who are all in to your program, they and you will be better off
Joe Sells