PDA

View Full Version : HOW to Execute Buck Sweep!

lewjohnston
04-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Guys: Once again, (as my wife says!) I have too much time on my hands! But... this is the time of year for the past 30 years that I was "cooking up" plans for the coming season! So, I have been cleaning out files and updating others.

I came across one this afternoon that I think will be of interest and value to you, my Wing T brethren! It's a "case study" (if you would) on the buck sweep. It is an exhaustive breakdown of each position-- rules, techniques and skills required to perfect this great play. I even include how to practice it--- from Individual to Group to Team periods. I even added an explanation of our "Buck Sweep Drill" that we run EVERY week during the season!

*Bryan: Feel free to add it to your website info if you like.

I have heard some of you say that you cannot afford to spend the time it takes to run this play effectively. Welllllllllllll... my response is: How can you afford NOT to spend the time on a play which brings so much reward??? When you see the results this play can/will bring to your Wing T offense, you will be glad that you spent the time to make it perfect!

If you would like a copy of this doc, please email me at lzj111@verizon.net. I would be glad to send a copy to you.

IN Christ,
Lew

SetHut
04-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Lew,
Thanks for sharing.

Spoofhounds
04-13-2016, 07:49 PM
I think it is the best play in football. We run, not coach speak either, ask anyone who played us at Maryville and now at Lathrop, 20 times a game. Primarily from 900(We call it 100) and Red(We call 200). I know this, when we get off the bus or leave the locker room and you cannot stop Buck, we will win every time.

Coach Holt

Former Spoofhound, Now a MULE!!!!

coachie
04-13-2016, 10:44 PM
How do you handle a Miami style college 43 Sam linebacker who scrapes hard? Change formation, or change play?

CoachCorrea
04-13-2016, 11:27 PM
X over can be an option were we crack on him. Or we can take a page out of Carneige Mellon's old clinics from 92 thru 96 and him block him with the TE his rule will be block him lol.

jsanny
04-13-2016, 11:40 PM
A lot of time invested - Yes but well worth the time. If you can run it well, it is very difficult to stop.

Spoofhounds
04-14-2016, 12:43 PM
How do you handle a Miami style college 43 Sam linebacker who scrapes hard? Change formation, or change play?

If the Sam is a real hard scraper, you have to coach up the backside Guard during the weak that his target will likely be at the LOS of scrimmage and you will likely kick him. TE has to get the Mike and the Center ends up getting the Will LB. HB has to understand the scheme and adjust on the run.

Coach Holt

lewjohnston
04-14-2016, 01:46 PM
I concur with Coach Holt. IF... the TE can "read up" to the Sam LB and... STILL "stay on his path" then, by all means block the Sam with the TE. However, as Coach said: We want our TE on the Mike LB and coach up the b-s OG to "find" that p-s LB (Sam) and block him when he scrapes.

bucksweep
04-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Hey Coach,

Just read the article. Great stuff! I great primer/how to on the Buck Sweep.

A coupe of things up for discussion.
'
…. THE B-S GUARD DOES NOT CHASE OUTSIDE THE HOLE. HIS POINT OF CONTACT IS: MIDDLE OF THE HOLE TO THE INSIDE… LOOKING TO WALL OFF PURSUIT IF NOBODY IS IN THE “TUNNEL.” THIS MUST BE REP’ED A BUNCH SO THE B-S GUARD CAN “SEE” THIS!"

We sometimes refer to the "double kick" by our backside guard on Bucksweep. There will be times, mostly vs. an Under front where the LB scrapes had over the top were the PSG kicks the force and BSG kicks the scraping LB. Sometimes that LB is past/outside the tunnel when we kick him. Maybe I am splitting hairs and when you say outside the tunnel you might be referring to a cornerback further outside the tunnel and the tunnel might be wider than I am imagining it.
WE HAVE OUR QB MAKE A QUICK “PUNCH FAKE” TO THE FULLBACK AS HE GOES BY. *(THIS IS SOMETHING NEW WE CHANGED THIS PAST SEASON. OUR QB COACH, AN OLD VETERAN, RECOMMENDED THE PUNCH FAKE. IT MADE THE LB’S SIT A LITTLE LONGER. )

I had thought of doing this and moving away from the Delaware proximity fake. Anything to hold the LBs longer would be a benefit.IN OUR FIRST PRE-SEASON SCRIMMAGE, OUR GOAL IS TO RUN BUCK SWEEP AT LEAST 12 TIMES.

Sounds like good advice. Probably the same would be said about Jet and Rocket. Looks of film to evaluate, break down, and show to players.

Bryan

bucksweep
04-14-2016, 02:06 PM
I concur with Coach Holt. IF... the TE can "read up" to the Sam LB and... STILL "stay on his path" then, by all means block the Sam with the TE. However, as Coach said: We want our TE on the Mike LB and coach up the b-s OG to "find" that p-s LB (Sam) and block him when he scrapes.

Coach you just answered my question in my last post. in my experience a well coached Sam can be a pain in the ass. Not as sound because it leaves a run through but we have combo'd the TE and Wing on the Sam. I never really liked it because it could lead to other problems but we have done it.

bucksweep
04-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Added it to Bucksweep thread at top of board! Good Stuff!