PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun snap thanks

outlawjoseywales
04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I have not been satisfied with my centers snapping shotgun over the last 4 years. So much so, that I just didn't run much shotgun, simple enough.

Recently I read a post by one of the legendary coaches from this site, I think, about a different way of snapping the ball.
I can't find the post, and I'm sure it was from here.

It is described as taking the backend of the football, standing it on its nose and putting the index finger down the seam with the laces to the right.

Last night I was watching Auburn vs. Clemson in the Peach Bowl game and Auburn's center snapped the ball this way. They are now an AirRaid team so this must be what those teams teach. I said, "hold it, somebody posted that." Sadly I can't find it. I'm sure I'll get 100 coaches telling me who it is.

Anyway, to make a brief post longer,
I don't know who to thank, but thanks.
I taught this technique to my center in about 30 seconds, maybe less.
He proceeded to snap about 1/2 a dozen perfect snaps with, get this, the laces hitting me in my right hand.

It was amazing.
thanks to the coach (famous guy) that posted this.
And now I have to rework my schedule for Spring practice to work on Shotgun.
OJW

RAIDERZ
04-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has film and coaching points for this technique. If this has been posted already... my apologies... thanks.

CoachLaratta
04-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Coach,
Call me anal but I save great posts. I think these are the posts that you're referring to...

Re(1): Gun Wing T Snap
IP: 128.2.36.163
Posted on June 8, 2007 at 10:36:53 AM by rerdelyi

Our RB coach Bo Ruffner showed me this way to snap. I showed this technique at the National Wing-T clinic last year and at several Glazier Clinics. Our starting center uses it and the other 2 do not. I don't make a big deal as long as it gets back. If you're having problems here is what to do:

Turn the laces to the side of the QB's throwing hand. Place your hand over the point, spread fingers and tilt the ball up on about a 60 degree angle. Flip the ball back between your legs so that it makes one full rotation end over end. The ball should hit the QB waist high with the laces hitting his hands. Our QB's love this because they don't have to fiddle with the ball to find the laces. It's difficult to make a high snap. The OC will hit himself in the crotch. Coach Klausing said that Jock Sutherland taught this technique at Pitt in the 30's using 2 hands. We use 1 hand because I believe w/ all the offset noses and 3/3 stack defenses the OC needs to get his off hand on the nose as quickly as he can.

Rich Erdelyi
Carnegie Mellon University

-----------------------------------------

Re(1): shotgun snap
IP: 128.2.36.163
Posted on October 3, 2007 at 11:46:22 AM by rerdelyi

Here is how we teach the shotgun snap:
1.1/4 turn the ball to the side of the QB's throwing hand. The laces should face a sideline.

2.Tilt the ball up on an angle (60 degree) and spread the fingers of your dominant hand.

3. Push the ball back between your legs and do not flip your wrist. Good Knee bend, back fairly flat, tail can be down slightly. Ball should come back with one rotation (almost dead) and laces should hit the QB throwing hand if done properly. Our QB's prefer this method because they don't have to fool with the grip for our quick passing game.

My #1 & #3 centers use this technique. My #2 center puts his thumb on the laces, laces up, just as we do under center. He brings the ball straight back with a little rotation but almost no wrist movement. He does it well so we allow him to do it this way which was how I taught it until last year. Bo Ruffner, my RB coach showed us this "new" way of snapping. It's almost impossible to high snap. The center will hit himself in the crotch.

I spoke on this technique at the National Wing T Clinic and at several Glazier Clinics and will do so again this winter.

Rich Erdelyi
Carnegie Mellon University

outlawjoseywales
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
That's it, thanks coach.
I should have known. I have been using the stuff from coach Rich Erdelyi's playbook now for 4 years.
If you want to know how to run Rocket along with about 1,000 other plays, get his playbook.
If you write to him he will send you one.

Well thanks Coach Erdelyi, now I know.
OJW

TedSeay
04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
That's it, thanks coach.
I should have known. I have been using the stuff from coach Rich Erdelyi's playbook now for 4 years.
If you want to know how to run Rocket along with about 1,000 other plays, get his playbook.
If you write to him he will send you one.

Well thanks Coach Erdelyi, now I know.
OJW

Question: (And OJW, you'll know where and how this came up) -- does Coach Erdelyi have any video for sale on his snapping method?

Regards,

Ted Seay
Vienna, Austria

RAIDERZ
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Any film of this snap would be great... I would love to try this with our center, but don't want to mess him up even more. Thanks.

outlawjoseywales
04-19-2008, 10:07 PM
coach, I said the same thing, we just we not good at it for years now.
Sure I've got a kid that could snap the shotgun but he is my starting runningback.

Just try it yourself, or just experiment with another player.
Try it just like he described, it's not harder than that.

I'll be on the field with it soon and will let y'all know how it's going.
OJW

RAIDERZ
04-20-2008, 07:51 AM
coach, I said the same thing, we just we not good at it for years now.
Sure I've got a kid that could snap the shotgun but he is my starting runningback.

Just try it yourself, or just experiment with another player.
Try it just like he described, it's not harder than that.

I'll be on the field with it soon and will let y'all know how it's going.
OJW

Maybe a dumb question... is the ball tilted forward or back?

outlawjoseywales
04-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I know it sounds strange,
but you grab the back end of the football and lift it up.
You put the ball almost on its forward nose, it never leaves the ground of course, but looks odd because it is exactly the opposite of a normal snap.

You know how the Center put their hands on the front end of the ball and lift it up for a normal snap? Well just do the same thing with the backend. Of course you will have to follow the directions and put your index finger down the seam. If you have large hands you can put your right ring finger and right pinkey on the laces. The heal of the hand rests on the nose of the backend of the ball. I saw the Auburn Center lift the ball up vertically while he was looking around. He sqauted down with the ball on it's nose.
Just wierd, but it really works.

I am excited about having good shotgun snaps for a change.
I hope that I haven't made this worse instead of clearer.
OJW

RAIDERZ
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I know it sounds strange,
but you grab the back end of the football and lift it up.
You put the ball almost on its forward nose, it never leaves the ground of course, but looks odd because it is exactly the opposite of a normal snap.

You know how the Center put their hands on the front end of the ball and lift it up for a normal snap? Well just do the same thing with the backend. Of course you will have to follow the directions and put your index finger down the seam. If you have large hands you can put your right ring finger and right pinkey on the laces. The heal of the hand rests on the nose of the backend of the ball. I saw the Auburn Center lift the ball up vertically while he was looking around. He sqauted down with the ball on it's nose.
Just wierd, but it really works.

I am excited about having good shotgun snaps for a change.
I hope that I haven't made this worse instead of clearer.
OJW

Thanks OJW. I will play with this. My C has been very solid with the under center snap, but poor from the gun. I'd actually like to give him coaching points and some quality video to review. If you (or others) come across some good film, I know many would like to see it. Thanks again.

RAIDERZ
05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Worked on the top-of-ball snap with my C for about an hour today... 1st time.

Accuracy was pretty good... never high. Snap speed was a little slow and inconsistent. Using it with Jet could be tough.

Anyone else have concerns about snap speed? Any tips that I might be missing?