PDA

View Full Version : Practice Format

WingRaid
07-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Looking for ideas on practice format and structure as season approaches. Thanks for all your help. You guys are the best!

Do you warm up as a team or by position?
What are the typical time(s) per periods.... 10 min indo / 10 min group etc...
Any drills or format you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Do you install similiar to most of the summer WingT camps? What do you do to spark intensity from the very beginning of practice to set the tone? Lastly, do you condition or utilize practice as conditioning?

Chuck Klausing
07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I always had a take on sheet of everything I wanted taught on Offense-Defense and special teams.During Pre season we tried to have 3 practices-The evening practice was in light gear- and we practiced all our kicking skills and taught Punt_Place kick-and Kick off Offense and defense. If the weather was decent the A M and afternoon practice were 24 periods. If the afternoon was hot we went in shorts or shorten the practice. I got the 24 -5 min periods idea when I worked for Bobby Bowden. Prior to that we would have some periods 2 and1-2 mins and some 7and 1-2. and many times went overtime.Bobby gave us a card with 24 5 min periods ruled off. We could combine periods to be 10-15 20-etc. He had a manager sit high with a card with big numbers 1 to 24- The mgr would blow a bullhorn every 5 mins and change the numbers. We all seemed to be on the same page.
Chuck Klausing

WingRaid
07-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Very good stuff! Thanks Coach for your help. Did you stretch at the beginning of practice? I had an opportunity to watch Deleware practice a year ago and if I remember correctly, they stretched or warmed up by position and stretched at the end of practice by position as their positional coaches summarized the day. Then they were addressed as a team by the Head Coach.
Coach, what are your feelings about warming up by position?

Chuck Klausing
07-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Very good stuff! Thanks Coach for your help. Did you stretch at the beginning of practice? I had an opportunity to watch Deleware practice a year ago and if I remember correctly, they stretched or warmed up by position and stretched at the end of practice by position as their positional coaches summarized the day. Then they were addressed as a team by the Head Coach.
Coach, what are your feelings about warming up by position?

We stretched before and after practice. I believe the stretch that we called a cool down was very important after practice. It was a chance to review important things that happened at praactice.

I am studying Dynamic Warm up which the speed people are teaching.
Chuck Klausing