Thread: belly

Default belly

Do you always x block vs a 3 tech and 50 front or is it better to simply on block at times?

thanks

I would say yes if there is a 3 tech in a 4 man front (we loved that alignment) ...

In a 5 man front ... Yes, If the NG is shaded or slanting to TE side ...
    If you are getting a NG shade to the SE side ... then belly X becomes difficult to run (unless your center is a stud)

Any evenly set 5-3 or 3-3 stack defense presents problems to any se side play (belly, wing buck or wing power) ... They have you outnumbered to the SE side unless you use formations and/or motions to regain the advantage.
    Just My Thoughts

LKelly

Coach
    We never X block the belly no matter the alignment. We found it is more teaching and not necessary. In most instances we are doubling the three or the one and we get a vertical push. Once the push has happened we then teach our players that they are not to come off of the double team unless there is LB run through. If he goes over the top of the double team let him go and the back will make the adjustment. We are basically zone iso blocking the play. 50 defense the double is going to happen with the guard and tackle to the playside LBer. If the NG is shaded will consider this an even defense and then we will double the shaded NG with the PSG/C and then MTM block the DT with the OT.
    Hope this helps
    Coach Wright

I guess it all boils down to your blocking rules. Our blocking rules for belly are

C-Zone PS A
    BSG-Zone/cut BS-A
    BST-Zone/cut BS-B
    PSG- Gap,pull kickout first man past PST
    PST-Gap, On
    TE- PS-Away
    BS-Zone

So to the playside versus a 3 tech we would cross block. Just one many ways to skin a cat.

P.S I know some of my terms are not tradition wing t terms. If you have any questions, my email is jroberts@wise.k12.va.us

Coach, if you are double-teaming the 3 tech and the HB blocks the LB, who is blocking the DE? Is the HB kicking out on the DE with the OT and OG running a zone scheme on the DT to the LB? I must be missing something here. I agree that it is great to have a double team at the point of attack but how do you do this against a typical shade 4-3?

If I understand the zone scheme as described by JWright, then the OT blocks out on the DE and the PsOG & OC double the 1-tech to MLB. The lead HB is responsible for the Will LB. To the TE side the PsOG & OT double the 3-tech and look for MLB. OC & BsOG double/combo off the 1-tech off to the BsLB. TE would man block DE and WB/HB lead up on Sam LB. I could see the inside shade on TE becoming a problem, but that's what Down, Bucksweep, etc. are there for....to take advantage of defensive alignments.
    Last edited by rpetrie; 01-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Coach
    rpetrie has got it. WE NEVER SEE A INSIDE SHADE ON OUR TE. If we do it is over for the defense. Using the OLB for contain is heaven for us and we do not run buck or down ever.
    Karjaw

JWright-

Then what are you running? Thanks.

Coach
    Rocket. We run it about 20 times a game followed by the zone iso another 15 then that leaves us 20-25 more plays. Depending upon the defense we throw 8-10 times a game. Leaves with 15 for other kinds of plays. There are games where we just run rocket and iso 55 times combined an no passes. There have been a few games where we had to throw 15-20 times.
    Jim Wright

Karjaw - I know you are Hybrid/Elrod based on your attack & use a ton of formations per his philosophy. Being that, what types of formations do you tend to run your "BELLY ZONE/ISO" out of? Do you leads come from HB sets or WB sets? I can see where zone blocking the play it really could help make it effective to the TE side.

Thread Information