Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing Game

Default Passing Game

Currently we run playaction game as well as sprint out (incorporating bunch concepts). What is the consensus as far as needing anything else and why? Do we need 3 step/5step etc. If so, what are your thoughts as to why this would be a good idea. Just worried as always about not having enough or too much.

Thanks,

S73

PS: Playaction game consists of waggle, keep pass and option pocket pass. Sprint is primarily flood concepts consisting of jet motion arrow with playside stick/corner, smash, wheel/curl, wheel/post, corner/out route.

Cobleigh has the scat series and the Xer series passes that are basically 3-5 step passing series... you can use them simply or add and modify his routes as much as you want ... The passes can be thrown with the QB making only 1 read on each series and the QB gets rid of the ball quickly. To me Play Action on 3rd down and long doesn't gain you anything ... so I think you should have some traditional style passing game ...
    Just My Thoughts

LKelly

I think putting in a slide protection 3 step game, is not too much, especially if you just use mirrored routes. I think there are games where you need to throw and you oppenent knows it - not making your play action stuff overly effective.

Also quick game is an easy way to get the ball to a playmaker.

We have installed 5 step as well - similiar route combos as our boots and waggles.

Again just my thoughts.

I think having a 3-step game is important. It's easy to put in & to rep, especially if you start now.
    Coach Ruiz

Thanks guys. Can someone describe how you block slide protection? I assume averone slides away from throw? Does FB pick up PS edge? If so, does he get in way of quick throw?

thanks,

S73

Quote Originally Posted by S73
    Thanks guys. Can someone describe how you block slide protection? I assume averone slides away from throw? Does FB pick up PS edge? If so, does he get in way of quick throw?

thanks,

S73
    We are full-slide and slide to the throw. PST is responsible for getting DE's hands down. We give the QB either mirrored routes or another backside option... so, we sometimes throw away from the slide. In this case, the QB knows that it will be tough for the FB to get the DE's hands down. If the FB attacks his block, he should never be in the way of the QB throwing the ball though.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERZ
    We are full-slide and slide to the throw. PST is responsible for getting DE's hands down. We give the QB either mirrored routes or another backside option... so, we sometimes throw away from the slide. In this case, the QB knows that it will be tough for the FB to get the DE's hands down. If the FB attacks his block, he should never be in the way of the QB throwing the ball though.
    We are basically the same, except we always slide away from the TE, we get the TE in the route and the FB is responsible for anything outside the OT butt away from the slide.

We slide away from TE because we feel it makes a longer edge for an outside rusher.

Finally on the protection - all O-linemen are firing out - very aggressive, the ball needs to be out on rythem. If not it is the QB's fault. We do not give him a predetermined throwing side, but he will predetermine it based on what he likes. He then reads one defensive player, depending on the route combo. It is all "if this than that" again easy to teach.

QB steps are as follows:
    Step 1 - Big step away from LOS
    Step 2 - Quick cross over with other foot
    Step 3 - Uncross the foot you took your first step with put it in the ground with your feet under your arm pits and the inside of your back foot facing slightly to the side you are going to throw to. It has to be 1,2,3, throw or your routes and protection will suffer.

Do this up and down the field a few times and they will get it. All of a sudden you have added a very nice package to your offense.

Can any of you explain slide protection rules and coaching tips v. a 3-3 defense? I am not sure what tips to use when reading the stacks with my line.

Thnks,

S73

Quote Originally Posted by tampabay
    We are basically the same, except we always slide away from the TE, we get the TE in the route and the FB is responsible for anything outside the OT butt away from the slide.

We slide away from TE because we feel it makes a longer edge for an outside rusher.

Finally on the protection - all O-linemen are firing out - very aggressive, the ball needs to be out on rythem. If not it is the QB's fault. We do not give him a predetermined throwing side, but he will predetermine it based on what he likes. He then reads one defensive player, depending on the route combo. It is all "if this than that" again easy to teach.

QB steps are as follows:
    Step 1 - Big step away from LOS
    Step 2 - Quick cross over with other foot
    Step 3 - Uncross the foot you took your first step with put it in the ground with your feet under your arm pits and the inside of your back foot facing slightly to the side you are going to throw to. It has to be 1,2,3, throw or your routes and protection will suffer.

Do this up and down the field a few times and they will get it. All of a sudden you have added a very nice package to your offense.
    Coach,
    Do you just run mirrored routes or do you have some other route packages like choice, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 33Belly
    Coach,
    Do you just run mirrored routes or do you have some other route packages like choice, etc?
    When we are in a traditional TE/wing formation the TE and Wing have what we call a stick combo on everything (TE 5 yards and sit and the wing arrow) ex. 891 slide right open side has slant arrow and the TE side has the stick.

If we split the wing wide we run mirrored 80% of the time I would guess when we throw 3 step. For example "Open 94" would split our wing, we are running speed out/corner routes on each side.

When we want to run different combos on different sides we could go "open 943" We are sliding left (9) and the calls go left to right - so the left side is running the "4" combo (speed out/corner) while the right side is running the "3" combo (fade/post) - we only do that type of thing if teams are changing up coverages on us. Protection is the same so no biggee - I hope that explains it at least somewhat.

Thread Information