Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hands vs. Shoulder

Default Hands vs. Shoulder

I know this debate comes up all the time, but I'm curious to learn more from you experts.

We have shoulder blocked the past ten years because that is the way I ran wing-t when I played in high school. Although installing the jet this year has made me change a few things in our blocking. When we reach block or block linebackers we have been teaching our wing-backs to block with there hands and we have been much better blockers. I would like to know if there are coaches out there that are using both techniques and what the advantages are or disadvantages? Do any of you run your wing-t strictly with hands blocking? If so how do you teach your down blocks? Thanks guys

Therte used to be a great article on the old message board written by Gregg Perry.

Gregg requested that I take it down.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Default Shoulders -vs- Hands

I have the article if anyone wants it. Just shoot me an email at CoachLaratta@Comcast.net

5. Default Hands vs Sholders

Why did Gregg want it taken down?

6. Thumbs up

I think it is a very interesting question. I came from a team where I was the O coordinator and we ran a pro style, power running offense in which we taught all blocking with our face and hands. I then moved on to a school where the wing T was the offense and shoulder blocking was the only thing that was taught. I must say that after seeing both ways to do it, I understand why Wing T guys use the shoulder block and that it is very good for the angle blocking that the wing T requires. Yet, once you get into reach blocking and logging people, especially on the JET, I think that the shoulder block loses its effectiveness. As a newer wing T coach, I LOVE the Jet, and think it can mix well into a lot of offensive systems, but teaching it while trying to block with shoulders never really worked for me. The more I think about, I think I prefer using the face and hands with everything. Is that a Wing T sin? Sorry. Coach Shaum, is that why the article came down? Just wondering.

Coach J

Along with shoulder blocking I like to use scramble blocking. It works great for reach blocking and pass blocking. Simple reach step. Throw far arm with far leg to outside of defender and crawl. I saw it on old Army video from the 50's at a Hugh Wyatt clinic. It works great and aggravates the hell out of defenders.

8. Default Scramble Block

I coached at Army 61-64 and we used the Scramble Block expecially on our toss Sweep. Each Day we would begine practice With A B C ,A was 5 mins of agility drill and B was 5 minutes of blocking especially scramble block. We did it on 5 yard squares one vs one and worked to scramble him at least 10yards on a 45 degree angle .It was the block that helped us beat Penn State 3 years in a row.
    Chuck Klausing

The first time running it in practice one of our DT's just ran backwards yelling at the kid blocking him to calm down. Same reaction on game day from the opposition as well as a lot of punches being thrown. It is definitely safer and more effective than cut blocking (which we are allowed to do in Massachusetts) and I would take it over "traditional" reach blocking any day.

I'm picturing a bear-crawl on all fours. Am I correct?
    A good fake is worth two good blocks.

Thread Information