Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Down / Belly Sweep

Default Running Down / Belly Sweep

We run a ton of belly and down and have tinkered with belly/down sweep to as a change up and a way to slow dow the defense. We have been unable to get it timed up or blocked effectively - what are they keys to running it effectively and how do you block it up?

Default Belly/Down Sweep

We run it with no motion. We block down on the playside (including the PSHB) to get the guard out.

These plays were mid-season adds that were surprisingly effective for us. I'm sure others run it better than we do (we are a freshman team), but implementation was easier than I expected.

Here are clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b3WN...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKEd5...eature=channel

We did emphasize the fake, and I think that 2 defenders tackled the FB in one of these clips.

Again... I only have a half-season of experience running the play, but it will be core to us going forward.

3. Default

coach z, excellent clips, is it possible to get the blocking rules with these 2 plays?? Would also love to hear if anybody runs these 2 plays any differently, we run down and belly to death, this looks like a no brainer for us. thanks for any help

Vin Ammirato
    Head Coach
    Mt. Sinai hs

Default Rules

Here are our rules for Belly Sweep.

SE - Stalk
    PSHB - Gap / Down / Backer (priority is EMLOS)
    PST - Gap / Down / Backer
    PSG - Pull & Log (or kickout if needed)
    C - Fire On / Backer
    BSG - Fire On / Backer
    BST - Fire On / Backer
    BSTE - Fire On / Backer

QB reverses out and fakes belly to FB (rides FB). BSHB (carrier) goes full speed at snap (from a tight split)... aiming point is through the FB's presnap position. QB steps back off fake (with back to the LOS) and hands off.

We blocked Down Sweep with the same concept... TE (now Gap/Down/Backer). PSG would then usually have the corner and would need to kickout more often.

Relatively simple adjustments if you already run Belly/Down well.

Hope this helps.

5. Default Down and Belly Sweep

We teach this at my camps. I have a lot of Cut ups on my DVD Changes in the Wing T to Win. E mail me at clkb5401.net and ask for my attachment on my clinic notes of Belly Sweep. I have also the rules and assgments from Joe Paternot who ran a Belly Sweep when Penn State was Wing T.
    Chuck Klausing E mail clkb5401@comcast.net

Are you having issues blocking bucksweep effectively? If this is the case, down sweep may have the same issues with the blocking.
    Regardless, one of the things that we do is have the fullback cutback towards the center. The cutback helps freeze those backers. That freeze is essential, because you don't have the backside guard pulling through the hole. You don't want to ride the ball too long either. Once the FB is even with the QB, the QB should pull out. If you take too long with the ride, the QB won't have a chance to give to the HB. The other thing is you want the hand off to be done with the QB's back to the defense to hide whether is handing the ball off or faking a hand off. If you sacrifice anything to make the ball time up better, it's the where the QB hands off to the HB. He may expose the ball a little. Sacrificing that is better than sacrificing the ride to the FB or not having the FB cuback.
    Good luck,
    Metz
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Metz
    Are you having issues blocking bucksweep effectively? If this is the case, down sweep may have the same issues with the blocking.
    Regardless, one of the things that we do is have the fullback cutback towards the center. The cutback helps freeze those backers. That freeze is essential, because you don't have the backside guard pulling through the hole. You don't want to ride the ball too long either. Once the FB is even with the QB, the QB should pull out. If you take too long with the ride, the QB won't have a chance to give to the HB. The other thing is you want the hand off to be done with the QB's back to the defense to hide whether is handing the ball off or faking a hand off. If you sacrifice anything to make the ball time up better, it's the where the QB hands off to the HB. He may expose the ball a little. Sacrificing that is better than sacrificing the ride to the FB or not having the FB cuback.
    Good luck,
    Metz
    Coach Metz... we found the defense collapsing inside made the blocks easier than on Buck.

BTW... just sent a wing-T newbie to your site to learn more. Great way to quickly show someone what the wing-T looks like.

Coach
    Here is how we do the rules to the Belly Sweep
    TE makes a 1 or 5 call. If 1 WB blocks 5, if 5 WB blocks one unless CB becomes a hot 2 then he blocks the hot 2.

-If you see a lot of hot 2 CB than use north and south sets.
    Guard makes a Virginia or Texas Call. If he calls Virginia he pulls and tackle blocks 1st man past center. If Texas call then tackle pulls and the guard blocks 1st man past center.

FB makes fake and runs like he has the ball for five yards or until he gets tackled

HB is to run to the toes of the FB on the snap of the ball

QB ball in-ball out.
    Good Luck
    Coach Wright

Coach Metz... we found the defense collapsing inside made the blocks easier than on Buck.
    I agree. Defenses really try to protect that off-tackle hole. Whereas the bucksweep can always break it outside If the PSG pancakes the DB.

BTW... just sent a wing-T newbie to your site to learn more. Great way to quickly show someone what the wing-T looks like.
    Thank you very much!
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

You should take a look at what Jeremy Plaa is doing from the shotgun. He runs sweep from the gun & fakes to the FB. Just another way to run what you guys are taking about in my opinion.
    Last edited by jsanny; 02-23-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Needed to make my point clearer

Thread Information