Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Club

1. Default Westside training

I would love to discuss and share information with anyone that is using westside techniques. As EriewingT said we are seeing great gains and I am becoming a big believer in the system.

2. Default Cross Fit

If you guys like some extreme stuff look at crossfit.com They just started a program called Cross Fit Football. You will find it on the left side of their home page. You follow their workout of the day. We just started some of this at our school and the kids would much rather go back to a regular weight room program. I am trying to find a good balance of keeping our core lifts and implement some of these workouts.

Dave,

That's an awesome site.

Wink

Dave

Lifting is overrated. Especially at the Single A level you don't need to do any strength and conditioning. Just let the kids be kids and I am sure they will show up in good shape. You should try that. Let us know how it works.

5. Default Check out the video's

Guys, check out the video clips. They demonstrate all excersizes and lifts. I love how they demonstrate a lot of our core excersizes snatch and cleans and others using dumbells. It allows you to go outside and work in large groups and then throw in the Cardio stuff between sets. I tell you, our kids are getting their butts kicked.

6. Default Conjugate?

Coach Wright,
    What do you mean by conjugate method? Also, I have implemented some of the cross fit stuff and our kids get great workouts with it and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachMcL
    Coach Wright,
    What do you mean by conjugate method? Also, I have implemented some of the cross fit stuff and our kids get great workouts with it and love it.

Some of the best info you will find on that is from the west side barbell club:

http://www.westside-barbell.com/

Basically you switch up the exercises in mini-cycles for your different lifts. For example we do a rotation of bench, floor bench, incline, dumbell palms out, dumbell palms in, bench with bands on the floor, bench with bands on the top of the cage. Also we do a max effort and dynamic day. It's been a great addition to our program. The website above is an excellent resource. Also Buddy Morris at Pitt is a great resource for this.

Coach
    The conjugate method is Russian training and as ErieWingT has stated it is mostly associated with Westside barbell. However, Westside utilizes it mostly with power lifters. There are some good strength coaches out there who are using WS knowledge and applying it to football. Buddy Morris is one of those coaches. We happen to not get our stuff from Coach Morris or Westside Barbell.
    Coach Wright

We use the BFS core lifts (with the exception of adding the Jammer and subbing a power shrug movement over the power/hang clean due to space and equipment issues). However, we have combined the BFS core lifts with the sets/reps suggested by the NSCA. They discuss the importance of sets of 10 in the bench/squat for the initial phase of the program to encourage technique over weight. They call this the volumizing phase b/c it is supposed to enlarge the muscle tissue. Then you move into the strengthening phase which is heavier weight of 3-5 reps. This is supposed to make the muscle stronger. This period is shorter than the first phase. The final phase is a 10-8-6-4-2 phase without a 1 rep. max b/c they say a rep. max is not functional for athletics. I must admit however, in this phase we still do the BFS 5432Max (1) in this final phase b/c the kids want to know their maxes. After these 3 phases, I do a 1 week speed development training to break up the monotony of the weight room. Working on running form, jumping, explosive lifts and circuit training. I just believe that completely changing training for a week throws a curveball at the body and crushes the adaptation they have developed. After the speed development phase we start over. We record everything and try to break all set totals. We also squat and deadlift on the same day and blow our legs away. I have seen impressive reults in this sytem.

Just what we do,

S73

Coaches
    We just did our Max effort upper lift yesterday and we had 7 players above a 315 bench 1RM. We have not done Bench in about 8 weeks and yesterday we saw most of the player go up 25-30 pds on their bench alone. We have almost everyone above 205 5RM bench max now including some of the Freshman. My strength coach told me that their numbers would go up despite not doing bench and I told him maybe a little. WOW!! I am glad I was wrong. It will be interesting to see how much they go up on the Max Effort Lower day. I asked him about the Crossfit and he likes it only for Deloading weeks and some Dynamic effort days. We have specific indicators we use to assess the progress and we are seeing great progress.
    Good Luck
    Coach Wright
    FINAL NOTE
    My strength guy is now telling me that we will be able to continue training like this during the season and will not have to change to much. I did not believe the gains would come and they did. I guess I should take his word for it this time.

Thread Information