Thread: Short Wing

1. Default Short Wing

I was playing around with using our bad ass wing back as a short wing. any interesting ways to use him in this position?
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

We call our short wing, the "MONGO". He leads through the hole first, then our halfback leads 2nd, then our glorious fullback marches through with the ball on our version of the smashmouth blast play.

what is a short wing? A slot?

We ran some of Elrod's bull and bear formation with the wing or slot lined up between the guard and tackle ...
    If that is what you are referring to ???
    It really spreads out a odd front defense and creates a natural hole ...

1. We ran belly at the hole ...
    2. We also practiced no motion jet sweep with the bull or bear back carrying the ball. Never ran it in a game
    3. we also ran a outside "trap" with the BS guard staying home and the bear/bull wing pulling across the formation to kick the contain out on the slot side ... We even considered running that "trap" with the slot in motion ...

We added the formation just before playoffs and ran the formation in the last 2 games ... the belly and "bear" trap gave us some decent gains ... I really like the formation. Check out Elrod's board, there is quite a lot of info on the formation there.
    Just My Thoughts

LKelly

I think of the short wing as an upback. He is in front of the fullback and right behind the offensive line, usually behind a guard. He has also been called "the sniffer."

Where can I find Elrod's board?

7. Default Cheat Back

I like to put the Full Back in the B gap up close to the LOS. It doesnt change a thing on Jet and Rocket Sweep. It really helps to have the f B leading the sweep.
    Chuck Klausing E mail clkb5401@comcast.net

With that short wing (bull/bear) between the G and T, would he have time to get out of the way of the G's kick out block on Down? I love Down, but my tight tackle is my fifth best lineman, and he doesn't get to the LB very well.

texasstyle: jetsweep.com
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Quote Originally Posted by texasstyle
    Where can I find Elrod's board?
    Jetsweep.com

Wes Elrod will anaswer questions if you post them there.
    He was been very helpful
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

With that short wing (bull/bear) between the G and T, would he have time to get out of the way of the G's kick out block on Down? I love Down, but my tight tackle is my fifth best lineman, and he doesn't get to the LB very well.
    I don't know ... we ran belly to both SE and TE side out of this formation ... But we didn't X-Block the G and T ... We did this specifically to be a key breaker. How about having the wing kick out and the Guard go to the LB ??? ... It would be a nice key breaker ! Lots of possibilities with this formation !

The jet sweep with no motion also interests me .. there are clips on Jetsweep
    Just My Thoughts

LKelly

Thread Information