Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on WB alignment

1. Default Need help on WB alignment

WE have run the wing t since 1987 and have since added the jet and rocket sweep to the package. We were always a team that aligned our WB's outside foot at 2 yards from TE and 2 yards from the LOS. On SE flank it was 3 by 2. We would cheat at times, but worried about giving the defense a tip on the play. (even thought you tell him to do it at other times)

I read here on Bucksweep where Chuck K likes to us a 1 by 1 on TE flank and 1 by 3 one SE flank.

In today's practice - we spent 30 minutes on just basic fundamentals like your first step, gap blocks, etc. We go to 11 on 11 and our back misses the gap block, maybe because from the 2 x 2 he couldn't get there or his first step was bad. Just wondering how many buck sweep teams run a 1 x 1.

I would appreciate very much hearing your thoughts on this. Do you do 2 x 2 or 1 x 1 or both and why.

Thanks ahead of time.

Default Wb

coach
    we have been 1 x 1 and move our WB (cheat) for 37 years
    Joe Sells
    Malvern Prep

We are 1 by 1 also. We may cheat to two by two for some of our pass offense. Coach the best alignment is what ever gets it done for you.
    1 by 1 gets it done for us.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Ed/Joe:
    Do you feel that 1x1 hurts your pass game? Currenlty we are 2x2 from the Tackle regardles if there is a TE in the game. I know Bruce Cobleigh & Coach Alexander (Cumberland) use 1x1 and are having sucess with it.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Default Pass Game

Chris
    it has not hurt our passing game, however when we go slot he will act like there is a TE so he ends up almost in 2 x 2 from the tackle
    Joe

Thanks
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolves
    Ed/Joe:
    Do you feel that 1x1 hurts your pass game? Currenlty we are 2x2 from the Tackle regardles if there is a TE in the game. I know Bruce Cobleigh & Coach Alexander (Cumberland) use 1x1 and are having sucess with it.
    We will open our splits to 2 X 2 on some of our pass plays. At times we are 1 X 1 and I don't think we are at too much of a disadvanatge throwing the ball with the wing aligned like that.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Default Wingback on Red and Blue formation

Coaches,
    What are your splits on the split end side? Just curious..... I graduated my big TE and do not have a TE coming up in the ranks. I will most likely be using the loose formation and go with two SEs.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkGreen]Jamie Auch
    Looking....

Coach
    Been running rocket for years now and we do not care about the splits. The key point in the rocket is the aiming point for the WB on the motion and that he remains straight across on the snap of the ball and does not deviate from that. Where he starts from is not important. The QB is going to snap the ball when the back disappears from his peripheral vision anyway. Our rule with splits and alignments are based on can you get the job the done. We are often saying to our backs "Find your spot!"
    Good Luck
    Coach Wright

Besides having a very good QB last year, we went to a tighter WB alignment and put up the most passing yards in school history last year. If anything I think it helped open up the passing game because it condensed the defenses we saw. If they didn't adjust it really opened up our off-tackle/Belly game. We actually utilize the arm-length as a measuring stick, with toes 12 inches behind heels of OLineman to his inside. It allows for some ability to cheat as arms differ, sometimes they like a little more/little less room, but they must be able to touch his outside hip without moving that inside foot...that is our only rule for alignment width.

Thread Information