Thread: Flipping the line/Wingback/Halfback

Default Flipping the line/Wingback/Halfback

Coaches, We are a small school with kids playing both ways. We have been playing a two halfback system for 10 years now, but I'm looking to play a wingback/halfback system next year and would like to know if others do the same. Our depth is very minimul. Late in the year we were having some depth trouble and we had one good halfback. We played a back-up tackle (5'10" 190 sophomore small school kid) at the wingback and we averaged 300 yards per game. I had him play from his three point stance for comfort reasons and gave him his same gap-down-backer rules and it worked great! He sealed down inside quicker than our halfbacks ever have in that three point stance. We used him on waggle and counter criss-cross with some success. This idea would allow us to get the ball to a true halfback more often and would put our best blocker on the edge. Also, do any of you flip your line? What are the advantages? Do you do the same in your younger programs? Thanks guys

Default Flip??

Coach: If depth is the problem, I would NOT flip your line! You need a 3rd G and a 3rd T.. and they have to learn both sides. Remember: the blocking rules are the same for BOTH sides.. it's just a matter of kids learning whether the play comes AT them or it goes AWAY from them!
    As far as your backs, IF something is working.. "don't mess with success!" But... I'd have a back-up RB who knew both HB and WB plays so he can be inserted at either if somebody went down. There's something about RB's in that, once they understand the series, you'd be surprised how easily you can move them around. Maybe your back up FB also must learn HB... or however you want to mix and match. At least with both sides being considered "HB's", both sides can be interchangable. We always had a designated Wing and designated Halfback in our program... but I've seen both ways work. But... I would not recommend flipping your linemen.
    Merry Christmas,
    Lew

First of all, I totally agree with everything Lew J states. The pro's and con's of "flip flopping" personnel can be debated forever! After being around this offense for years, I do have the following beliefs. If you are going to be a multiple formation team, use lots of different kinds of motions and you want to incorporate many different types of shifts I believe that it is difficult to "flip flop" personnel.
    In addition, as an offensive co-ordinator you want "formation integrity" which is the ability pre-snap of attacking Flank, Corner, Off-Tackle, and Internal to either the left or right. My belief is that you lose "formation integrity" once you start "flip flopping" personnel.
    Just my thoughts ...

Denny Dierick

4. Default

Im certain that Denny Dierick and coach Lew's opinions are the ones you want to follow at the high school level.
    You did ask about what to do in the younger programs. I'm not sure exactly what age youre refering to but with our 11 & 12's we didnt flip the wb's but we did flip the line and it think it was a good idea at this age. My strong side tackle had to learn just one rule for power, trap, blast, belly, etc... The same goes for the other positions. my weak side guard knew that the belly play was coming at him. he didnt need to learn the backside rule rule to belly cause we only ran it to the split side.Also I only had one guard that needed to be good at trapping because our trap always hit the strong side "A" gap.

I'm sure kids at the high school level are capable of learning and remembering alot more than 11 & 12's.

Thread Information