Thread: our worst play??

Default our worst play??

Our worst play so far is Down....

We really struggling running it against a 5 tech and 9 tech. Against a 3 tech surface, it looks great, but terrible to a 50 look.
    Any suggestions?

It is wrongarmed...

If 9 Tech closes hard & wrong arms the Trap block, it is time for Down Option.

Denny Dierick

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Dierick
    If 9 Tech closes hard & wrong arms the Trap block, it is time for Down Option.

Denny Dierick
    I have heard Tom Herman and Dave McDonald talk about Down a few times, and they always mention that the call in the huddle is "Down/Down Option, check with me." The idea, as I understand it, is that if the DE lines up inside (as a 6 or 7 tech), the QB would check to Down Option.

A 9 tech who closes hard, kinda turns into a 6 or 7 tech at the snap, so I'd agree with Coach Dierick's advice of Down Option. The wrongarming by the DE make him easier for the G to log.

As far as the line blocking, it is almost exactly the same for both plays, with the exception of the FSG kicking out on Down and logging on Down Option.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

I think down is a tough play to run due to the wing back block on Play Side Backer. We actually do not use as a series but put it in the buck series as a complement to sweep.

Maybe it is just me, but I think running down to a 5 and 9 is like putting a square peg in a round hole. Big enough hammer will do the trick, but base would be so much easier and you can even use the same backfield action.
    Coach Wright

I have to disagree with Coach Wright. I think that the down is set up perfectly vs a 5 and 9. The TE has an easy down block and the T goes to near backer, middle or backside backer orhelps the c with the NG. As another coach said above,it works well with the bucksweep, as it puts the 9 in a conflict- the play looks the same and he needs to figure out if the WB is downblocking on him or he's being kicked out. If he's blowing up the kick out, run buck sweep. Also, when we run down and the DE wrong shoulders, the guard knows to log him and the FB runs outside automatically.

7. Default

Not to sound repetitive, but we teach it exactly like greyhound and do run it vs. a 5 and 9. We use the down option and down sweep as compliments based on how the DE is playing it, but we are trying to get our FB the ball on down first.

It was a less than average play for us until we changed the FB's aiming point. For years we taught the FB to aim for the outside leg of the tackle. This was fine for the FBs with good vision. They just bounced it a little, if the TE was having trouble with the 5 tech. However, our FBs with poor vision were running into the TE's Down block. We changed the Aiming point to the inside leg of the TE and it has made a difference. In order to deal with the 9 tech, he needs to be put into conflict with Down Sweep or Rocket. Or you could block Down like Down Sweep and have your FB bounce it. Just some thoughts.

I'm on board with greyhound and coach Dierick. I would also like to add the reason I run the wing t and am having more success with it than I did as a younger coach is that I am losing tunnel vision. I don't look at plays anymore but series and conflicts. A few years back I too would have looked at down v. 5/9 and said uh-oh. Now I see the torment I can deliver to the 9. Jetsweep, jet motion down, jet motion down keep, rocket, rocket motion down, etc. I always try to remind myself "it's an order of football". That's what always gives this offense a shot IMO.

S73

Quote Originally Posted by S73
    I'm on board with greyhound and coach Dierick. I would also like to add the reason I run the wing t and am having more success with it than I did as a younger coach is that I am losing tunnel vision. I don't look at plays anymore but series and conflicts. A few years back I too would have looked at down v. 5/9 and said uh-oh. Now I see the torment I can deliver to the 9. Jetsweep, jet motion down, jet motion down keep, rocket, rocket motion down, etc. I always try to remind myself "it's an order of football". That's what always gives this offense a shot IMO.

S73
    Great point, that is why we do not run a complete down series, but us it as a perfect conflict play to sweep. It also is a great tempo changer as it hits so much faster than belly of Buck Sweep.

Thread Information