Thread: Pre Practice Routines...

1. Default Pre Practice Routines...

Would love to hear input on pre-practice routines...

ball fakes, ball fakes, ball fakes

We try to have some form of pre-practice every day. 10 to 15 minutes prior to the start of practice. Since some of my coaches are not in district this is a
    good time to keep the kids active before they arrive.
    What we do in pre-practice depends on what we need to improve on. We discuss this after the previous day's session.
    For example: If I feel we are not getting a good enough takeoff from our offensive line we. will work on that. Another coach may work wih our kickers.
    It will all depend on what coaches are available prior to practice. Hope this helps!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Coach Sadloch, we are struggling getting our o line to fire off. Any advice other than plenty of cage and sled? Has not been near the problem in years passed, and this is a much more talented group.

Since often, I focus on the running game with the running backs, I'll use pre-practice to work on the RB's routes.
    Pre-practice is where our kicking game gets a lot of work.
    Punters, holders, place kickers and long snappers get their reps in then, and the other positions work their stuff with whoever is left.
    Sp. Teams have priority during pre-practice.
    I'll treat it as an extension of my indy period.
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

Coach,
    Here is our prepractice routine:
    Backs /QB/Receivers do:
    1. Empty the bucket
    2. Settle and noose
    3. Pat and GO
    4. 4 across flat def/CB (hitches and outs)
    5. 4 across ILB/OLB (horizontal stretches)
    6. Vegas drill ( 1 safety vs. inside verticals)
    7. 3 on 2 Middle Vertical stretch/Outside Vertical stretch
    OLINE does:
    1. Sumo Walks
    2. Bird dog
    3. Bird dog and fire offs
    4. Cage drills
    5. Double teams with LBER run through.
    We get through all of this done in less than 20 minutes.
    Good Luck
    Coach Wright

Quote Originally Posted by texasstyle
    Coach Sadloch, we are struggling getting our o line to fire off. Any advice other than plenty of cage and sled? Has not been near the problem in years passed, and this is a much more talented group.
    Coach,
    In my humble opinion it takes at least 2 years to develop good wing-t linemen. Just be patient and work on their takeoff everyday. You will eventually get them on the same page.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

8. Default Pre Practice.

In watching Paul Browns practice in the 50s he started out teaching his players how to run and get speed. He had each player make 2 tackles with the right shoulder and then 2 with the left shoulder. I asked him why he insisted on his great q B Otto Graham practicing tackling. He replied when he had an interception he should be the first to the interceprtor and to make the tackle.
    Working for Paul Dietzel in the 60s he started each practice with his A B Cs
    A for Agility--B for Blocking--and C for contact Tackling.
    Chuck Klausing

I think an overlooked/ taken for granted thing we do at least once a week in pre-practice is simply take snaps. We work all our QB's with different centers and work our centers on stepping and snapping. May sound simple but it works for us.

S73

We bird dog every postion

Thread Information