Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Clinic adds Joe Sells to 2010 lineup

Quote Originally Posted by David McDonald
    he thinks that nobody would want to hear him again and he is past his time.
    Uh, I thought that the Wing-T was past its time... And I like hearing about it. I'd love to hear from Coach Kempski.

The yearly clinic isn't just about learning technique for me. It is also about hearing Tubby Raymond tell about the old days, meeting other coaches, catching up with acquaintances, and trying to write down Coach Erdelyi's jokes so that I can tell them later.

If I don't get to see Coach Kempski this year, I'll catch him next year.

Thanks for the great lineup Dave!
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolves
    NYC would be GREAT!!!!!!

How about we move it back to Erie!?!?!

Any chance of getting Bill Zwaan or Rocky Rees?

4. Default

Hey long time listener(reader) first time clinicer(will be there this year God willing). sounds great got the room reserv cant wait!

Dave
    Along with Coach Erdelyi I would like to see more College coaches at the clinic talking about the offense. West Chester/Shippensburg/Cumberland are all current users of the offense. The clinic is worth the $80 and it is a good clinic. For me I want to stay on the cutting edge of the offense. I understand the importance of having the basics and fundamentals of the offense available for newer coaches to the offense: Tom Herman-Line play and Gallagher-RB play etc. But I would rather see Zwaan/Alexander. I find it ironic that all latest cutting edge info with this offense is coming from high school coaches like: Cobleigh/McNew/Elrod.
    Coach Wright

Default Ted Kempski

Quote Originally Posted by trojan
    Uh, I thought that the Wing-T was past its time... And I like hearing about it. I'd love to hear from Coach Kempski.

The yearly clinic isn't just about learning technique for me. It is also about hearing Tubby Raymond tell about the old days, meeting other coaches, catching up with acquaintances, and trying to write down Coach Erdelyi's jokes so that I can tell them later.

If I don't get to see Coach Kempski this year, I'll catch him next year.

Thanks for the great lineup Dave!
    J.
    I am the same as you are. I love to hear the guys like Ted Kempski speak about the Traditional Wing-t and the old days, especially because I coached during the old days. He also said that he has some new ideas. They are not tested, but they are probable some very sound ideas.

I talked to Ted last Week. He said that he wished that he could speak this year, but he will do his best to speak at next years clinic.

Have a Great Day,
    Herm
    tom Herman

Quote Originally Posted by JWright
    Dave
    Along with Coach Erdelyi I would like to see more College coaches at the clinic talking about the offense. West Chester/Shippensburg/Cumberland are all current users of the offense. The clinic is worth the $80 and it is a good clinic. For me I want to stay on the cutting edge of the offense. I understand the importance of having the basics and fundamentals of the offense available for newer coaches to the offense: Tom Herman-Line play and Gallagher-RB play etc. But I would rather see Zwaan/Alexander. I find it ironic that all latest cutting edge info with this offense is coming from high school coaches like: Cobleigh/McNew/Elrod.
    Coach Wright
    Coach Wright,

I appreciate your comments. Dave and I agree and disagree with you. We don't believe that ALL cutting edge Wing-t material comes from successful High school coaches. We also don't agree with your statement that we believe that ALL of the cutting edge Wing-t coaching techniques and plays come from successfull college coaches either!!.

What we have tried to do is have a good balance between the excellent cutting edge High School coaches and cutting edge college coaches that will best fit or as many wing-t interests as possible. That is not an easy task. Most of our requests come from high school coaches that want us to hire more high school coaches. They believe that successful high school coaches will speak about subjects that are more relevant to what they want to coach. We also have requests from coaches like yourself that want more college coaches. Dave and I believe that there are many college Wing-t coaches that would be excellent speakers. It is harder to get the College coaches because in January they are in the middle of recruiting.

So each year, we have tried to have a solid group of successful, basic and creative High School coaches speak at our clinic because most of the coaches that attend our clinic, coach High School football. We have many more requests for succcessful High School coaches to speak at our clinc becasue most high school coaches believe that a successful and inovative high school coach will be more relative to what they do than a college level coach.

In the past, we have had college coaches like Rich Erdelyi, Denny Creehan, Malen Luke, Blair Hrovat, ect. We have invited other college coaches like Coach Zwaan, in the past, and because of recruitng commintments, they were unable to speak. We hope we can get him this year, but it will depend on his recruiting schedule.

If you know of any College Wing-t speakers that are excellent clinicians, are on the cutting edge, and will agree to speak, please don't hesitate to call on me at 814-824-3329 or therman@mercyhurst.edu. I would love to talk to you about this matter.

Tom Herman
    814-824-3329
    Last edited by therman; 11-16-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Coach
    I appreciate your comments and I do not know of any other Wing T college guys then those I mentioned which is why I disagree with the notion that college guys are being on the cutting edge of this offense. The reality is that most college guys do not run it anymore and that is because if they even mention they are going to use this offense then they do not stand a chance of getting a job. Right now I see guys like Elrod/McNew/Cobleigh and some other HS guys really moving forward with it. Zwaan and Erdelyi are the exception. Alexander learned his offense from Elrod and Cobleigh. Creehan is back in the mix, but I have no clue what he is running on O (you would know better than me) and I even have a player playing for him at WV weslyan. I always was a fan of Hrovat stuff when he had wingt.com. Do not get me wrong I think the clinic is excellent and well worth attending.
    Coach Wright

DeWayne Alexander at Cumberland, Rocky Rees at Shippensburg & Phil Willenbrock at Puget Sound are also college coaches that run the Wing-T

Thread Information