Thread: Defense Keying the Gaurds

Default Defense Keying the Gaurds

As we all know as wing T coaches, some people have "figured out" how to defend our base plays by keying our gaurds and wingbacks. What are some wrinkles that you have used to give the defense false reads?

I think the more times you can prevent a DC from saying "everytime they do this....this happens" you are winning the scheme game.

Thanks in advance for the input.

We picked up a play we call opposite where we pull both guards like waggle but run almost a power play to the te wing side. We have the wing/te/pst block down and the fb kick out. There are some clips on youtube of a team running it I think they called it 28 opposite, maybe someone has the clips they could post.

coach we feel the bs guard is somewhat useless in jet and rkt - so we will pull him opposite this will slow them down when you run waggle or ice. I also like gut against the even front. I will also play games with my backside TE on jet and give him the freedom to reach opposite

Default false keys

Coach
    we also use the opposite call both guards pulling away (31-39) it works very well
    another one we have used at times vs the 5-2 is 121-929 tackle (pull the PST and have the PSG fire off for the LB ) this will help slow his flow to the edge
    Joe Sells

5. Default remember

Keying the guards is just common sense. I don't know that they've "figured you out." If we play a singleback under center team or an I formation team we pretty much know what they are going to run and who to key - so we've certainly got them figured out. Reading guards helps you go in the right direction but doesn't tell the play. PS Guard pulls to me - is it buck my way, down my way, or waggle my way (no clue). PS Guard pulls away - is it trap, gut, buck the other way, waggle the other way counter xx the other way, power the other way. And just in case that bothers you, pull the BS guard opposite on jet rocket down etc. just to put doubt in their mind (that is all it takes to get a 16-18 year old to stop listening to his coach.

Default false keys

dwinger great point

CoachWilliams-

Good teams are gonna figure you out...you have no control over that.

I think the better approach would be to try to create this enviornment at practice. Tell the scout D what's coming...put the best defenders from scout D at the point of attack, put a 13th defender on the field...whatever works.

We ran into this problem this year- at the start of the season our trap was killing teams- Mostly because many of the LB's weren't reading keys fast and were sitting ducks for our down blocks...

As the season went on our trap sucked- mostly because LB's were flying downhill and our tackles weren't able to get a piece...this went on for a while, and we realized that our scout team D LB's weren't flowing downhill at all, and we practiced against this all year.

Coaches,

Thanks for all the great points. I agree that good DC's will figure you out, but if you can put even a little doubt in that 16-17-18 year old's head even for a split second, you have the advantage. If their coach tells them to follow the gaurds and you pull opposite one time and they look foolish, you have created doubt and it may take away their "assignment football" approach.

Thanks again coaches.

We ran 2 plays, 34/36 Ct & 24/26 Guards Away. With 34/36 Ct the playside guard pulls to the outside while the backside guard guts around the center vs. an even look. With 24/26 Guards Away, both guards pull to the outside away from each other.

Thread Information