Thread: advice for coaching candidate

Default advice for coaching candidate

Coaches -
    although I am a long-time assistant coach at my school and have in the past been a finalist for a few head coaching jobs at other schools, I believe that when I put myself forward for the HC job at my school, I will be in an underdog position because they already have former and current HC's applying for the job. Obviously I know the school, players, league, etc better than any of the other candidates, but since I have not been an OC or DC and have pretty much just quietly done my job coaching OL and DL (and writing the playbook, doing the video work, helping with college recruiting, etc) without making big speeches or promoting myself, I think that they will overlook my body of work and what I have accomplished with my players and the team in general.

I know that I can put all of this in my resume and cover letter,b ut what more do I need to add? Coaching philosophy, programmatic changes that I envision, what else?

Also, I have seen some of the packets being sent in and a few seem to have the exact same format, with different info and names. Is there some coaching philosophy template that they are all using, just putting in their own specifics but leaving the rest the same? Should I try to use the same format?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The guys getting the head coaching jobs today have a plan for character development. Not to say to just throw something together for the sake of an interview, but be prepared for the question, "Why should I want my son to play for you?"

Well put. With all the negatives arising in our coaching profession today, people are concerned that their sons are in good hands. Character has and always will be a high priorty for our coaches and players.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Thread Information