Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled or no Sled??

1. Default Sled or no Sled??

Just wondering but I notice that wing-t coaches tend to shy away from the sled??

Any reason??

Those coaches are probably shoulder blocking coaches. It is really hard to down block a sled with shoulder blocking...angles and pad level are too different. I prefer HEAVY bags..held by other players. This allows the angles and pad level to be what we want it to be, and gives the same resistance.

Just my opinion.

3. Default

I only use the sled just before our short yardage period. I think heavy bags are the best way to teach shoulder blocking.

Default Like the Sled

I like down or gap blocking on the old 7 man rogers sled. We just off set the linemen back from their pad on the sled (simulating their on the field alignment) and have them in a stance paralell to the sled we bird dog it once and on set go they gap and drive (fairly quick whistle) - we have found that we can get a lot of reps - they must stay low - and I like the sled, we just needed to find a way to use that fit the offense - again just an idea.

You can use a sled effectively for all blocking scheme/techniques if you adjust the orientation of the players stances for each block to be performed. We do gap/down, trap, fire/on, area & reach techniques on sleds.
    Last edited by bucksweep; 01-14-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpetrie
    You can use a sled effectively for all blocking scheme/techniques if you adjust the orientation of the players stances for each block to be performed. We do gap/down, trap, fire/on, area & reach techniques on sleds.
    Sorry coach I hit edit on yours by mistake instead of quote, reason for the edit addition at the bottom.

Anyway I agree 100%
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Coach
    We are a big sled team. We not only use the sled, but we believe and make our kids believe that the sled is critical to our success in our running game.
    Coach Wright

I got away from the sled two seasons ago- worst mistake ever...back on the wagon this season and our oline play was much better.

Default Both...

I highly encourage the use of both - the heavy bags are great for teaching proper technique, and a great way to work on combination blocks.

The sled is great for building anticipation of snap count, come off, and teamwork.

Using both in your practice also breaks things up for your kids and gives you lots of options to work on specific parts of O-line play

Coach Stroud

10. Default

I agree with Hornet. We use both in addition to shields. As an old O Line Coach I feel you can't have too many toys to keep the big guys entertained!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Thread Information