Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What plays you suggest for a youth football team 1st yr. Wing T???

Default What plays you suggest for a youth football team 1st yr. Wing T???

There's no question what scheme I will use this season. I'm the newborn of the Wing T family. I wanted to know what plays would you suggest to install for a 1st yr. wing T team? I so much info from many of you and others from the wing T family. I just wanted to know from all of you what plays you suggest and tips for installing these plays? I'm studying under Coach Mcnew right now, but I just wanted to know what others think.

Thanks in advance.

Coach Hayes
    (Host/Producer-The Red Zone Show)
    www.coachbigb.com

Default Drills

I also would like to know if anyone had any drills that could help me out installing this scheme as well? Thanks in adavance.

Coach Hayes
    www.coachbigb.com

Coach our local youth program ran the wing-t (just like we do at the HS level) They made their living off of the Buck Series and the Belly Series.

Drills: I love having a Tackle Down block and Both guards pull. Similar to this
    http://www.bucksweep.com/buck_sweep_drill.htm

We also run backfield action with cones. With and without the ball to work on faking.

Hope this helps.

Twenty Series (Buck Sweep, Trap and Waggle)
    Eighty Series (Belly, Belly Sweep, Maybe Keep Pass)
    Basic Formations: 100-900...Tight 100-Tight 900
    and go from there!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Not saying that you aren't doing this, but I feel that you should focus on which series to run, rather than which plays. I coached 7th grade Wing-T for six years, and I've focused on the Buck and Belly series since I've been the OC (just two years ).

With a series (or two or whatever), you typically have a play to the strong side, the weak side, the middle, a counter, and a play action pass.

Buck Series:
    Bucksweep - strong flank
    FB Trap - middle
    Waggle - run to the weak flank or PA pass
    etc. (LOTS of etc.)

Belly Series:
    Belly - weak off-tackle
    Down - strong off-tackle
    Tackle Trap - counter hitting inside
    Keep Pass - PA Pass - Belly KP to the weak side & Down KP to the strong side
    Belly Sweep - weak flank
    Down Sweep - strong flank
    etc. (LOTS of etc.)

Some guys put in a ton of plays, and some guys prefer to "perfect" a small number of plays. I don't know which is right, but if you start with one series and add, you'll see what fits you.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

6. Default Youth Football 8 to 13 age

If you are interested in coaching youth football there is another site you ought to tap into. It is Delphi Form--Double Wing Football Coaches Form--I spoke at their Double Wing Symposium a couple of times and the program is great.They have some H S winning State Championships. Great DVDs and books by Wyatt--Murphy of Clovis East Ca. and Jack Gregory.The base formation is Double Wing Tite with shoe to shoe splits.They run a power off tackle which is a toss with short motion which they call Super Power.They start out by teaching the Wedge that is a must.Check the site and you will be impressed. I had a DVD from a 8 and 9 year old team from Mich. I showed the DVD to Johnny Majors and he said it was the best coached team he saw including H S and NCAA.
    Chuck Klausing

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Sadloch
    Twenty Series (Buck Sweep, Trap and Waggle)
    Eighty Series (Belly, Belly Sweep, Maybe Keep Pass)
    Basic Formations: 100-900...Tight 100-Tight 900
    and go from there!

I completely agree w/ Coach Sadloch. I might add rocket sweep. Most little league games are 8 minute quarters, so you won't get to run more than 20-30 plays in a game at most. If you have more than 8-10 plays then it is likely more than you will be able to effectively practice. Heck, you could almost just take one series and be very effective. if you run 3 plays to the right and 3 to the left and you can run them well, you don't need much else at the youth level(in my humble opinion)

Belly Series and Rocket.

Wow no this is why I love this forum. Thank you all for the advice. Coach Klausing you're right about the double wing group. Many of them have been on my show and Coach Val sent me his "The Toss" book. (I suggest this book to anyone.) Tim Murphy and a few of them came on a did a run on the double wing scheme. The past few weeks I have been getting in coaches that use the Wing T. (This is why when I get back from my surgery I'm doing a Wing T round table.) I think another coach told me series base is better and Coach Phil Luci (asst. coach Mcnew) said the same about running only a few plays very well than running a bucnh of plays ok. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

Coach Hayes
    www.coachbigb.com

Is this a youth program that feeds to the high school because that is where I would start.

If not jet and Rocket would be the first. I love bucksweep - a lot of time and investment. If your high school team runs it then I am assuming the HC there has an idea of what he would like to see run at the youth level.

Like said if this is not a feeder program Jet and or Rocket for youth is great stuff.

Thread Information