Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Wing-t

Default Shotgun Wing-t

I just wanted to see who out there is doing it and if they are interested in trading any film. We are a middle school. We came into the season planning to run it but when our QB went down for the season we started using it even more. We upset the #1 team in our conference using it but have also struggled at times (like most teams breaking in a new Qb do). We rely on alot of Jet Sweep, Buck Sweep, Power, and Counter. We throw a few passes out of it but we do not have a big arm Qb now. I was wondering what other people are using the gun for and how much production they are seeing. Thanks

2. Default

This year, I'm running defense, but I'm hoping to run offense next season. I would like to run a shotgun formation. I'm just curious about the semantics of what is called the "shotgun wing-t" as compared to a "spread" offense. Is there really such a thing as a true "shotgun wing-t"? What's the difference between a shotgun wing-t and a spread formation?

Like I said, I'm just curious because it seems that everything out of the shotgun anymore is a "wing-t" variation or spread. Just wondering if these terms are being used interchangeably or if there really is a difference and what those differences are.

Default Shotgun Wing-t

Coach,

I used to run the spread and I feel there is a difference between it and the Shotgun Wing-t. I will try to explain, so here goes. The Spread is based upon the concept of creating mismatches in space. This may be accomplished by putting a 6'4 reciever on a shorter corner or running the inside zone into a defense that has backed off to defend the pass. When we ran the spread we were always looking for a matchup instead of running a system and studying the structure of the defense. Since we moved to the Shotgun Wing-t we are really a series based offense that attacks the defense through the use of angles and formations. We would run inside zone (Spread) when the numbers in the box were in our favor but we were not setting anything up to help us. In the Wing-t, this past week for instance, we used trips because the team we faced played man coverage. We then ran QB Buck Sweep and ran all over them because we had a formation that created a conflict for the defense. We simply plugged a play into this conflict that allowed us to move the ball on a superior team. The Shotgun Wing-t is no different than what under center teams are doing, creating conflict with formations and then running series based football. The Spread was just too "grab bag" for our tastes (althought it certainly works great for some teams). We like to be physical but we find too many loaded boxes when all we do is run under center. The ability to run physical wing-t plays from the gun confuses many defenses and let's us do our thing more effectively. We just never found ourselves to be physical in the spread. I am sorry for the long answer but I hope this helped. Please e-mail back if you have further questions or if I make no sense

We tried to hybrid the spread with the wing-t a couple of years ago. In essence, we used spread passing plays with wing-t run plays, but we didn't use much of the wing-t play action. There were aspects that were successful, and others that weren't. Philosophically, we struggled with identity, therefore schematically we were all over the place. However, we used Red/Blue formations with the HB on the SE side almost adjacent to the SE. We ran QB Belly, Down Shovel, Down Switch, Tackle Trap with the WB, Criss Cross, QB Lead Sweep, Waggle, Trap, "Buck" sweep (though there was no one diving at the LOS on sweep). Belly/Down Keep passes were in the package, but we hardly ran them.
    We also had a vast assortment of pass plays.
    Also, I think it's a great compliment to the wing-t because the blocking schemes don't change at all and there are only minor differences in each play.
    Hope this helps,
    Metz
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

5. Default

Thanks for the explanation. That helps.

I have a youth football team (ages 9-10) and we run hybrid wing t from pistol. I love it and the kids love it as well. This isn't a true shotgun, but by the QB being back 3-4 yards off the line we don't lose a thing with our rushing attack. You just have to rep the center-QB exchange 10 mins. a practice and I also have my center snap the ball to the couch for 30 mins. a day. (Or when he's bored/down time) This season we only had one bad snap out of 6 games. We run Jet Series with a front and backside play action passing plays (Roll Out/Fade). We added TE Pop pass and FB Bubble screen as well. You can run any series from gun, but the thing I love about the gun (pistol) is that it improve your passing attack without hurting your rushing attack. I'm a rook compared to many here so they can fill you in on more of the pros and cons of it. Check out Coach Glenn Mcnew (gave me my foundation of the wing t system, wildcat, Jet/Rocket, Jazz, and gun concepts), Coach Wes Elrod (Hybrid Wing T system/Outside Count/Jet and Rocket w/ comp. plays), and Coach Ray Olsen (Jet series from gun for youth football teams and youth offensive concepts). All 3 of them ran wing t from gun and gave me plenty of ideas to shape my system.
    www.coachbigb.com
    (Host/Producer-The Red Zone Show)

A few years ago, I wrote a couple of articles for Gridiron Strategies Magazine about our shotgun wing-t package. It was nothing more than adding a formation & running our plays from it with a few minor adjustments.

8. Default

What are the specific advantages tp running the wing-t out of the shotgun? Is it to help with the passing game? Is it to spread out the defense? Do you find that the QB being back from the LOS helps if there is penetration through the OL? Do you ever run it with both backs in the backfield with the QB or is it always as a one-back spread set? Thanks for the insight as I continue to learn more about the offense.

Default Shotgun Wing-T

I'd be intersted to hear Coach Lew J's input on this subject. Coach Metz had an interesting point of his team not finding an identity. It seems to me our team has experienced the same thing this year running spread with 20/80 series run plays when we aren't in shotgun. This is a very interesting subject with some great questions and answers posted already.

Default Shotgun Wing-t

We have always run it, so far, with a QB at 5 yards and a fullback in front with the wings either being in a wingback position or spread wide. Our Qb rushed for 92 yards on bucksweep from the gun and scored a TD this past week. I really do feel that an offense having something to hang their hat on (i.e. an identity) is the most important thing that I have noticed in the last decade calling offenses. If the gun tampers with that identity then it should not be used but we see it as an extension of what we are already doing. Under center we run Belly, Down, Buck Sweep, Power, Rocket, Counter, and Trap. These same plays are then rolled into the gun and used again. We are really just using the Qb as the fullback when int he gun. The Buck Sweep has also become a QB play thanks to his running ability. The gun allows us to spread recievers out and decoy men from the box so we can create angles to run our QB. We had 203 yards of offense on 29 plays this past week and never ran the wing-t from under center. We never relaized it but Buck sweep really became a play that we can hang our hat on because our QB runs it better than our wingback or halfback.

Thread Information