Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to the traditional way?!

Default Return to the traditional way?!

We've dabbled with it all: multiple-formation, rocket, jet, shotgun, etc.... Bought every hybrid wing t video.... Etc...

At this point I am asking who still runs or has gone back to the traditional
    100/900 formation and hung your hat on buck, trap, belly, and the compliments and counters? And why?

I have found that our physicality and confidence has wained as we have added all the wing T additions: jet, rocket, a hundred formations, etc....

I am not knocking this approach. I completely get why it works but I'm just interested in hearing from the people who run base successfully and why they do?

Thanks

2. Default

We still run the base wing t. The only "new" thing we have added is the Jet. We are mostly a belly/power/counter team. A couple years ago, our head coach decided to try to spread.... it lasted two games then we went back to the good ole wing t. Here is why:

1. It is what the coaches know. Honestly, any offense works. They are all designed to score touchdowns. We happen to like the wing t because we know how to make adjustments out of it. Any idiot can buy a book and install the offense the author has written, but you had better know how to adjust.

2. We don't have superior talent. We play a lot of spread teams who are faster than us at every position. However, we usually beat them because we are better coached.

3. It is a physical offense. When we play these spread teams that are way faster than us.....we jam the ball down their throats. They usually run down the jet sweep, but then we trap the hell out of them.

4. We can run everything out of a couple formations. Most coaches say it's better to have multiple formations and i understand why they feel this way, however.....It's high school football. Several of the teams we play come out in some crap on defense that is completely unsound. They also rarely get lined up correctly if we switch formations on them. By using only a few formations, it is easier for us to see what the defense is trying to line up in. Once we have figured out what they are trying to do we can attack them accordingly. If we would come out in a ton of formations we would have a harder time attacking a defense because we have no idea where they are going to line up.

We have decided to go back to a more traditional attack next year. We ran some twenty series this year and 21-29 were sound football plays for us. They actually worked better than Jet. I think everything is ciclical (sp.). We also plan to use more 2 back sets and go back to the thing that made us successful in the late nineties and early 2000's.
    I really believe if you have a stud back the jet and rocket are great additions to your offensive arsenal. With average backs the traditional way is the best way to go!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Coaches
    How many of you play schools with an enrollment of 2000 or more?
    Coach Wright

I love ADDING Jet & Rocket, as well as Jet & Rocket Motion, to our base Wing-T. ADDING them. We win or lose based on how well we execute the Buck and Belly series, and they are our focus (foci??).

I read a post on either bucksweep.com or coachhuey.com, and the coach said that they will run Rocket until the other team stops it. In my experience, we could run Jet/Rocket all day against the more clownish teams we might face (teams we could beat that year with ANY plays), but that won't make us a better team. We NEED Trap and Belly and Down and Bucksweep to beat the good teams, because the truly challenging teams have the speed to get to the edges.

We ran almost exclusively (85%+) out of either Red or 100 or some other TE right formation this year, and that simplicity helped us execute better.

Every year I tell myself that we are going to run fewer plays than the year before, with the goal being to execute those plays better. To find my list of plays, I start with Buck/Trap/Waggle, and then Belly/Down/Keep Pass/Tackle Trap. I always add the rest "later."

The traditional stuff is where it's at.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JWright
    Coaches
    How many of you play schools with an enrollment of 2000 or more?
    Coach Wright
    Our enrollment is around 2,100. We play schools with a similar enrollment.

Default Back to Basics

I guess this is why Championship Productions asked me to do a set of dvd's on the "base" Wing T. I think a LOT of guys are looking to get back to the basics!
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned as to a reason to run it is: there seem to be less teams over-all that are running it. I know at one point in the mid 90's, 5 of the 9 teams in our conference ran the Wing T. It was difficult to "surprise" teams since they'd already prepared for it 4 times! Now, 5 years later, there're only 2 teams in the entire region (4 conferences) that run it.
    Secondly... the point was made earlier: it is a "System" of offense. There is a formula for attacking defenses and when a defense thinks they have the answer; you make the adjustment.
    My Wing T mentor used to say: "You can stop some of it; but you can't stop all of it!" Find the weakness they've created and exploit it.
    Finally, the base Wing T (as Tubby says in his book) is a style of offense that emphasizes a gruelling consistent ground game that builds a desire to dominate the opponent physically. The core of any football team is hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Lew J
    I guess this is why Championship Productions asked me to do a set of dvd's on the "base" Wing T. I think a LOT of guys are looking to get back to the basics!
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned as to a reason to run it is: there seem to be less teams over-all that are running it. I know at one point in the mid 90's, 5 of the 9 teams in our conference ran the Wing T. It was difficult to "surprise" teams since they'd already prepared for it 4 times! Now, 5 years later, there're only 2 teams in the entire region (4 conferences) that run it.
    Secondly... the point was made earlier: it is a "System" of offense. There is a formula for attacking defenses and when a defense thinks they have the answer; you make the adjustment.
    My Wing T mentor used to say: "You can stop some of it; but you can't stop all of it!" Find the weakness they've created and exploit it.
    Finally, the base Wing T (as Tubby says in his book) is a style of offense that emphasizes a gruelling consistent ground game that builds a desire to dominate the opponent physically. The core of any football team is hardness.
    Very well put Coach!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Default Old School Wing-t

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Lew J
    Coach,

I agree. I live in the Charlotte Metro Area with over 2.2 million people and there are hardly any wing-t teams. That I know of...Charlotte Catholic runs traditional wing-t (state title contender every year and are in the regional finals Friday) and the only other team that comes close to being old school wing-t is Shelby HS and they are 40 miles from Charlotte (also in a regional final). It is rare to see a true blue wing-t team nowadays and I feel that while coaches still may have a gameplan for it...opposing defense do not like the misdirection and physicality of being trapped, logged, kicked, cut, and doubled, along with chasing the wrong back all night

Default basics

Amen!!!

Thread Information