Thread: When does Wing T not fit your kids?

Default When does Wing T not fit your kids?

Coaches
    The other day and plenty of other days I have heard countless number of times this comment:
    "Well this offense is a good fit for my kids"
    It was not said by just a spread coach or a I coach or Bone coach or a Wing coach. I hear it said by all different coaches. However, is there an offense where year after year it can be said "this offense is a good match for our kids"? Lets look at a couple of offenses (let me say this all offenses work. There are schools winning and losing with them every week. Including the wing T):

Flexbone/Wishbone:
    Great offense, however, I think it is heavily depended on a QB that can lead and Run the ball. You can get by with smaller OL and backs and even a slower QB, but he has to be able to make plays and run. He is the point guard and his decision making is HUGE to the success of this offense. Key is Decision Making not necessarily athleticism.

I/single back/ pro:
    Another Great offense.This offense requires a good back. The back that can make plays. However, the deception of the offense is limited and therefore requires both a good offensive line and a passing game to keep people out of the box. The decision making of the quarterback in the passing game is key. two words: Mark Sanchez. Blocks must be maintained for a longer time and zone schemes are the main emphasis of the run game. Talent in the receiver positions to get open are also essential. Balance is key.

Spread:
    Great offense as well. The key to this offense is the quarterback. Whether it is spread option or air raid. Everything goes through him. I believe in the spread the quarterback had better be able to run or throw real well and if he can not do both then the spread is a very limited offense. You can get by with smaller OL . Receivers have to be good and need more than one. Defenses can bracket one for the most part and just as well as the offense uses numbers to its advantage, so can this defense as well against this offense.

Coaches have said: Every offense requires key elements in positions in order to be successful. Which if you talent is the element your talking about than they would be correct. However, to moving the ball consistently and with success I would have to disagree. I left one offensive type out on purpose and that is the T offenses.

Wing T/ Slot T/ Power T:
    I know my opinion on these offenses. I would like to know what yours are on the T offenses and being a good match for your kids?
    Thanks
    Coach Wright

FINAL NOTE:
    I know I left out alot points about each offense and even some other offenses. I did not want the post to be too long and the real point is what you think of the T offenses and being a good fit. Thanks again

I know I'm preaching to the choir. With the wing/slot/power T, which are largely interchangeable and use similar if not exact numbering systems and slanguages, you are less-reliant on a super-talented athlete, or huge linemen. The ordinary kids are facilitated into the offense more easily. Any of us would gladly take the D1 transfer at a skill or line position, but the flexibility of our schemes allows us to run a system that doesn't change much from year to year depending on who we need to be featuring. We have had 2,000 yard rushers at any of the RB positions, including QB, and we have had a QB throw for 2,500 yards. Those kids make it easier to call a play but they don't change your offense. Another thing I've loved is that when we see the opposition has a particular weakness, you don't have to really find a play to take advantage of it. It's already built in. Our kids can tell the blocking scheme, back carrying, hole attacked, backfield action and whether the QB opens up or reverses out based on the three digits in the play call.

Jim:
    We are lookign at the spread Pistol next season.....
    Not sold on it yet, We have Numerous recevier types, but VERY limited at backs. Maybe two. We have two VERY good QB's coming up. I still plan on running the opt stuff using Bama , etc but using pasing concepts this season.

My number one concern is installing zone. I'm going to look at incoprtating your base scheme as well.

Good thing thing is we have spring ball, so If it doesn't work, we can always go back to what we do.

Chris
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Chris,

Jim's base scheme is very effective.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JWright
    "Well this offense is a good fit for my kids"
    As you mentioned, one can say this about any offense, including the Wing-T. I believe that a possible end for that statement could be, "because I don't know enough about it." Most of us will say that the Wing-T is complicated and detail oriented, and that makes it tough.

On the Personnel page of my little website for beginners, I tried to address what plays you might consider running if you lacked "this guy" or "that guy." Year in and year out your personnel varies, but I believe that varying your offense leads to problems. The year you have the stud WB, run more Rocket, and when you have the outstanding FB, run more Belly.

Players who come up in the traditional Wing-T system, possibly from MS through HS, will learn the Buck Series, the Power Series, the Belly Series, and so on. When you have good players in the right spot, you run the plays/series that complement their skills, but you don't throw out the whole system. Spread as an 8th grader, Veer in 9th and 10th grade, then Power I as a junior and senior? How good is that kid going to get?

I believe that the Wing-T meets the needs of everybody's kids, even if it means going double TE, out of the gun or pistol, or spreading it out. That assumes, of course, that you can coach it/adapt it in some different ways.

I am not sure if this is what the the thread is about, but the only time I can see the wing-t not being the best offense for me is if I have a Cam Newton, RG3, Johnny Football type player.

The good news is that I can still run the wing t and it be great with those kids at QB, but I just think that with that kind of talent I have to get in the gun with them or I am doing the team a disservice. I would love to run waggle, belly option, veer with those guys, but feel they would be even better in the gun and as my main running threat.

The other good news, is all I have to do is run the shotgun wing t with them. I don't run the gun wing, but I assume that most teams that do can still jump down to under center pretty easily and go with it. That would be great if that stud got injured.

Again, if I have that type of player at QB in the wing t I can still use him and he will make my offense incredible. I just feel the offense will be even better with him in the gun.

[QUOTE=silkyice]I am not sure if this is what the the thread is about, but the only time I can see the wing-t not being the best offense for me is if I have a Cam Newton, RG3, Johnny Football type player.

The good news is that I can still run the wing t and it be great with those kids at QB, but I just think that with that kind of talent I have to get in the gun with them or I am doing the team a disservice.QUOTE]

I think if they were in a Belly based offense they could thrive just fine. Waggle would also be a be-atch which would then open up XX-counters. But I do agree that being in the gun benefits all and that is why the Gun-WingT scheme is nice in that there is little to no new learning for OL.

I know some may disagree with this, but I truly believe a well run option - flex bone- with one of the very athletic qbs discussed, would be much more difficult to defend than the shotgun spread. However, it would be necessary for that athletic qb to buy in 100% and that would be nearly impossible in today's world. Those that believe you must be in the gun to throw the ball are wrong. If you are a tremendous running football team and your qb is a running threat, any offense can throw the ball.

Thread Information