Thread: Bucksweep

1. Default Bucksweep

Wondering what you guys think... We are a "bucksweep first" team and try to run the play until the cows come home. Problem is, every team we play knows that too. Here are my two biggest problems with being a "bucksweep" team:
    1) When you have a Z that is big, tough and physical, bucksweep is great. The problem... he is rarely fast enough to run jet, rocket, and the counters you want to run away from the TE/Wing side to the split side.
    When that Z is agile and fast, he usually sucks at blocking down on sweep.
    Teams are starting to take their toughest kid on D and trying to knive hime inside the wing when the TE blocks down and they are blowing up our guards as they pull.
    2) the second thing that teams do is they know that we make a 90 degree cut all the time and their force player is comes down hard off the edge and squeezes the hole. Obviously that is good defensive coaching. I always thought that we should log that with the frontside guard and have the backside guard go around but either you have to work that constantly or you have to make it a call. Do you guys call sweep "log" or do you drill it constantly and have the kids read it? Just wondering how other teams do it...

Well, my first thought would be...how much do you run down???

The wing's down block will be so much easier if you make the man he is blocking actually worry about having to close and wrong arm a trapper. Once that DE is worried about down, I think bucksweep will work much better.

The two plays clearly go hand in hand/compliment each other and put the defense in conflict. On both plays the TE is blocking down. On one play he is getting trapped from the inside out and on the other is getting a down block from the wing.

Without this conflict the play is no good.

-Sean Coultis
    Bolingbrook H.S. (IL)

The other thing that comes to mind as far as putting the defense in conflict would be running a pass to the TE/Wing to slow down run support. If they are flying up fast, the pass behind them has to be open.

A bucksweep pass to the TE/Wing side would be a nice call. TE/Wing release inside like on bucksweep and then one goes to corner other to flat. Instead of qb rolling weak like on waggle, he rolls strong.

Down pass would put them in conflict as well.

Quick question...what formations do you use. I know against 100/900 teams will feel comfortable rotating their secondary/cheating to TE/wing. However, if you go red/blue, it might be much easier to run bucksweep to TE/wing. Or even going unbalanced might help. Same play/blocking just a change in formation might help/throw the defense off.

And if the other team is hell bent on stopping bucksweep, maybe something else is open (belly, trap, etc...). Don't run at walled cities.

-Sean Coultis
    Bolingbrook H.S. (IL)

Many teams try to do these same things to us. It's a good defensive scheme but you have to adjustments built in.

The first, I believe, is that you have to spend time practicing down blocking with your backs. We go right and left with our Halfbacks, so it's imperative that they down block with the T's and TE's every week for a 20 minute period. Anyone can learn to down block, you just have to emphasize it and make it a priority during practice.

As far as Buck Sweep, if you have a defender "kniving" that gap as soon as the TE down blocks, you can teach your WB to "slow block". Otherwise, take a slow first step and allow the defender to shoot the gap and then down block him with the WB.

The next would be the 90 degree cut. We emphasize that you "must" make the cut on Sweep. If we see this happening where they are blowing up our Guards, we make an exception and call "Sweep Log". When they hear the log call the FSG logs, BSG leads, and back can run outside. We don't want to do this, but sometimes you have to.

The other thing is that when we are having trouble running sweep, we run it a hole tighter. We call it another name, but it's Sweep blocking. The WB runs an arrow route like Down Pass. The Halfback and Guards cut it up a hole tighter. Everyone else's rule is the same. Most teams think we are running Sweep, but it's not. We have really gone away from Down and used this play and it has been exceptional. It is now our off-tackle play.

Lastly, I believe strongly that if you are running the Wing-T, you must make a decision as to what kind of Wing-T team you want to be. We are traditional 20 & 80 series. I believe the Jet and Rocket stuff is really good, but you have limited practice time and it's better to be good at a few things, then average at a bunch of them.

We have split the wing out and then brought him in motion to crack the DE when running buck. Do that a few times and they will be a bit less aggressive.

BootNShoot,

What is the blocking on the "short" sweep? I like the idea!

Thanks

I do notice this ... Defenses place the strength to the TE not necessarily the wing. If you went Spread 121, you might get away with running bucksweep to the SE/slot side.
    Also, Defense place such a high importance on motion. Motion the wing as if you were running belly. But run bucksweep instead.
    These are two simple adjustments that don't require major overhauling of the offense.
    The one adjustment you might take a bit of timing is running spread 129 ... meaning, you'll run the wing and the dive back blocks. I teach the Dive back to block the man over TE and we working on timing up the motion. Sometimes, it's the QB fault for taking too much time, so, getting those reps is important.
    Good luck,
    Metz
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

Thread Information