Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fullback Toss

Default Fullback Toss

How many of you run a standard Toss play to your FB from his normal "home position" (behind QB)?

More importantly, how do you block this play and formation it to get the looks you want to?

This was a good play for us last year but we could only really run it against a 4-4 team and we had to be in Red/Blue Over to run it. We blocked it with a true "reach" scheme.

Can this play be blocked like Jet (Reach DE and pull the PSG?) with where the FB is going to catch the ball and at the depth he is going to be?

We used to block it like down with the guard logging or kicking out. We also ran it using "Jet Motion" with the wing/slot back also on the edge. My Qb rule was if
    you weigh more than 145 lbs you can lead the FB also!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Kevin
    I know you know Bill Mountjoy. He is a very good friend of mine. His version of the toss is very good. If you do not already have it. Contact him and he is more than willing to share it with you.
    Coach Wright

Jim, thanks for the heads up I'll do that. By his toss are you referring to the "Truck Toss" that he and other "pro-style" teams run (H-Back down on DE with PST pulling)

I've been talking to him a bit about pass pro scheme & his 4 verticals package and probably would be better served to try and touch base with him than over the pro-style forum.

We run it out of a lot of formations.

Out of base right formation, we have everybody basically just reach left.

SE stalks
    HB blocks the first person outside of who the LT is reaching.
    LT reaches DE. If DE slants inside, he just goes up to the LB.
    LG reaches a 3 or blitzing LB. If no 3, he will pull and look inside.
    Everybody else reaches.
    QB reverse pivots and tosses to FB going wide. He should catch behind tackle. I think you could try and get it even wider, but it probably take more work.
    I have had QB lead before, but this year he just booted after tossing.
    Twins - WB in a twin set is also good.

You could also crack and let HB go to corner.

If you FB can run this well, it is a great split side outside play.

Coach, how do you get the ILB blocked in a 4-4 w/ a 3 tech to the SE side with that scheme?

WB to OLB
    PST to DE
    PSG to DT
    WR to CB

Am I interpreting your scheme correctly?

I like that width you get on the pitch? Do you think with that width you could get the PSG to pull to the ILB if you are getting that width (hes actually catching it wider than Jet)?

Kevin
    I have known Bill now going on 7years. He has been to my school three times to do clinics for our coaches sectional clinic and he has brought me down to do clinics on hybrid wing clinic.
    Imagining this:
    Doing a hybrid wing clinic with the following people in the room:
    Ernie McCook (offensive coordinator at liberty university and now shepard university)
    Joe Jacoby (redskin legend)
    Larry Zeirlin (offensive line coach for steelers/browns etc)
    Bill Mountjoy (virginia high school legend)
    Jim woodson (soon to be virginia high school legend)
    Coach Baily (virginia union)
    And the list goes on. To my surprise many of them after came up and wanted to learn more about the scheme.

Bill is the kind of guy who will give you a ton of information with extreme detail to it and yes he would be a better resource than that forum. Basically, he is that forum. Everyone on there runs his offense. He knew Sid Gilman personally and spent a lot of time with him and Dan Henning was a student teacher for him. He also knows Macgregor who was with Joe Gibbs/ Bobby Bowden at Florida state and later was the quarterback coach with both the Redskin teams (Gibbs era) and atlanta falcons. Darren Perry played for him in high school who is now a defensive coach with the Green Bay packers, so he has links to their entire offensive package. He also has links to the Steelers because of his relationship to Larry Zeirlin.
    SIDE NOTE
    1. However, he is NOT a wing T guy at all and will not discuss that offense with you. He has beaten the wing t so much as a coach he does not like it as an offense.
    2. If you refer to the wing offense he will send you my way and not discuss what you want to discuss. He has sent many towards my way.
    3. If your looking for an offense that meshes the pro scheme with the wing you will not get that from him. That is what I have been doing for the last seven years with this offense.
    Good luck
    Coach Wright

We have used it and blocked it just like Power Sweep and down block front side & pull BsOG as lead. Formations were as follows:

"Strong" alignment with HB serving as the "kickout" on force/#2
    .......X.............T..G..C..G..T..Y.
    ..............................Q.............W
    ..............................F......H

Either align in this or "motion" WB into this alignment out of regular 100/900. We would either block with HB on #2 or Crack/Exchange between X & HB.
    ......X...............T..G..C..G..T..Y
    ..................W..........Q
    .......................H......F

Motion WB back across into the STRONG alignment and HB again as kickout
    ......X...............T..G..C..G..T..Y
    ..................W..........Q
    ...............................F......H

Was meant to hit same area as Bucksweep. If we wanted to get FB outside we would either offset him or send in early 3-step motion (flat) and run it like Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb
    Coach, how do you get the ILB blocked in a 4-4 w/ a 3 tech to the SE side with that scheme?

WB to OLB
    PST to DE
    PSG to DT
    WR to CB

Am I interpreting your scheme correctly?

I like that width you get on the pitch? Do you think with that width you could get the PSG to pull to the ILB if you are getting that width (hes actually catching it wider than Jet)?
    The center would try and reach him in that scheme, since he should be in "a" gap. Not an easy block, but doable. It is just a stretch scheme to get a hat on everbody that so many teams run. The play does cutup a lot.

If the DT was in 1, then the center would scoop or cut the 1, and the guard would have LB and probably pull, but try and cut off the ILB.

But, you have to understand the play a little.

First, not all of my FB's are capable of running this. So if I am running this my FB is pretty good and can make the play work with everybody just getting a hat on somebody which this does vs a 3 tech.

Second, it is usually not a base play. We run belly a lot more. When the front and LB's cheat in more by alignment, then we run fb toss. So the blocks becomes easier. We run other belly plays also, belly sweep, belly pass, and belly keep, but sometimes FB toss is just quicker and hurts their initial alignment faster.

Third, we can change the blocking scheme. We can pull the guard no matter what and try to cut the 3. We can also pull the backside guard if he is really quick, but that is tough.

Fourth, I think play is fine with an average fb against a defense that is playing normal. Just change the formation and go twins or slot (wb moves to twins on left). Now he blocks OLB and HB can get ILB scraping. Or we could crack the twin or double crack with SE. Or bring TE over. Or both.

Fifth, the play is so unlike a wing t type play, but is very easy to install that it just sometimes works.

10. Default

We run this with one step motion by the fullback. On "Red", he starts in fast one-step motion parallel to the LOS (or slightly backwards). The ball is snapped on "Set". The QB executes his pitch very similar to "Rocket Sweep". It is a true sweep.

Thread Information