Thread: Unbalanced Line or SE over

1. Default Unbalanced Line or SE over

Do you guys feel the need for both? Do you think one is better than another? Really thinking about incorporating the tackle over concept next year. What is your opinion on pros and cons of tackle over and SE Over
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

We use both with equal success. I like running Hybrid plays with the TE and SE
    on the same side and our Base offense with Tackles over to the SE side.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Coach, using either Tackles Over or a simple SE over alignment depends on who is a better blocker for us. The goal of it is normally to get that CB/SS to stay out of the off-tackle hole so we can run Down. It just depends on who do we want that outside blocker being too.

Two years ago we used a ton of tackle over to run Down. Our tackle that we moved over was the best OL that I have had in the 5 years I have been at the school.

This year we never used a tackles over set. The reason being is because our TE this year was probably the best down blocker that we had, and the best reach blocker we had. This next year will probably be more of the same, unless one of my tackles/guards grows up alot over the off-season.

In two years, though, I would imagine that we will probably be using alot of the Tackles over set, as we don't have a real good TE in our younger grades. We do have a large number of OL types though, who are better than any of the young guys that is a TE.

4. Default

Yes coach, that makes sense. This year I had a great TE so wouldnt have been good. Next year we will be young at TE so move are veteran stud OT around it gives you good matchups. Thanks coach plus it might be a headache for the defense lol
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

Default Tackles Over and SE Over

Bulldawg71 the use of both tackles over and SE over have advantages to attacking the defense. Just like Coach Schleb said to get that extra defender out of the box also we run buck sweep short side with SE crack. Tackles Over I was going to implement more this year also try to run to that side to take advantage of the extra blocker (Suppose to be better) at the point of attack Down is great like Coach Schleb stated. (Also thinking about lead). Since you are at Southridge and I am at Plantation I know u see a lot of 50 double eagle looks also. What was working against Miami Central just curious and what defense were they playing????
    Last edited by RAIVIK; 12-29-2011 at 01:30 AM.

6. Default

They play double eagle and the better than you defense! You see us 11 we are better than you lmaooo! But lots of double eagle and 0 coverage. Belen had a lot of success with counter criss cross.
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

Yes it is great to have the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's.

8. Default

I've never seen as many athletes on one field as I saw against Miami Central in 2010. They were loaded at every position.

we do both SE over and unbalanced, however, our unbalanced is just SE over tight. the SE lines up as a TE outside the normal TE. We sub in another TE type to do this. Or another Tackle type and put him under the TE.

We like this because it gives us that unbalanced front (that extra gap really screws with defenses) without messing with the line's assignments at all. Which makes it a really 'cheap' formation to add.

We like regular SE over as well, because the defense has to do something (duh, ). The way most teams around here play us they move the corner out, which takes a guy out of the box because they were playing him at linebacker depth and alignment. Plus our SE last year was a BURNER so we liked to move him around.

Coaches
    In addition to the above comments it is also important to note the creation of different surfaces and the problem it may cause for a defense hence creating advantages for you.

1. To some defensive coordinators moving the split end over is not unbalanced and they play it as if it is trips and to be honest it is not trips because the TE or OT is not eligible.

2. A three man surface does not have the same effect on a defense the same way a four man surface would. What would a four man surface do?
    A. Give you the same advantages as double TE. The addition of 8 gaps for the defense to defend, 5 to one side and three to the other. Which means if they do not adjust their defense to accommodate the 5 to the one you win.
    B. It changes the defensive fronts. In order for defenses to adjust to the 5 gaps, it forces an even front to become an odd and an odd front to become an even. Good coaches can clearly see the advantages this gives them.
    C. To the so called weakside you have left an eligible receiver in what the defense perceives as the tackle spot. With all of the dynamics of the game taking place it is quite easy for 17yr old players to loose sight of this concept and the ability to sneak him down the field could present itself.
    D. By placing your weakside WB on the LOS you have now placed an additional gap for the defense to defend. Placing 5 on one side and 4 on the other. Thus the rationale for why I use a zone scheme with our belly play. Therefore, forcing the defense to consider going with some unconventional thinking in order to accommodate so many gaps. Something that a defense is often never presented with.
    Good luck
    Coach Wright

Thread Information