Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly Series

Default Belly Series

For teams that use Belly Sweep instead of Belly Option as flank play...

Most teams I have seen don't use motion on Belly Sweep. According to Wing-t philosophy, series should look alike/put defenders in conflict. I also like that you can run Belly w/o motion (teams won't cheat/slant). I suppose you could run counter tackle trap w/ no motion as well.

However, I would certainly want to run Counter Tackle Trap Pass and Belly Keep Pass too (which both require the Wing in motion so he can protect the flank).

Was curious what people's thoughts are on the Belly Series if running Belly Sweep? It would be pretty obvious if you only used motion on passes to the flank. When/Which plays do you use motion on?

-Sean Coultis

2. Default

We run belly sweep w/o motion when our WB is fast enough. We will run it with real short motion when we have to. We also run belly with rocket motion, which allows you to run the the pass portion of this series.

We often ran our plays from the Belly Series with Rocket Motion. The exception being Belly Sweep. However, we ran a QB Belly Sweep with Rocket Motion. We blocked it just like we blocked our Belly Sweep and we often got an extra blocker at the point of attack with our Rocket back.

QB Tackle Trap with Rocket motion was our best counter last season.

My opinion on this is that the WB motion is not the selling point, but the action of the PSG, the HB, and the FB. You run Belly Sweep when you are hurting them with Belly. That OLB sticks his nose in when he sees Belly action by the HB and the FB, and that is what opens the flank for the Belly Sweep.

I do not know the Delaware terminology for it, but I would start with the WB off the Split Tackle and the HB in the diveback position, then send the WB in flat motion toward the TE side. The QB snapped the ball when the WB was in his "normal" position and that was when the WB turned and hit his deep motion to get the handoff. This is a diversionary way to use motion, hopefully drawing a S, then the LBs see Belly motion. My lack of brevity aside, the use of motion ( deep, jet, rocket, whatever) does not make the Belly series, at least in my opinion.

Also, I've run Belly KP from Red/Blue with no motion to give the HB a jump with no key to the defense. You do give up the extra protection (as you mentioned), but it hits the edge quickly.

Are you going to the clinic next week? The Belly Sweep is a topic, and you will likely learn a lot more than you could from my post. :-)
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Scoultis
    You want to talk about the Belly Series being executed to perfection?
    Get your hands on Bellevue games. It never gets old watching how they attack both flanks and inside on their belly play. I have three state championship games of them and it is amazing to watch. This will give you some insight of what your looking for.
    Good luck
    Coach Wright

The best wing wingt hybrid double wing what ever wing team I have ever seen!
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

7. Default

@James what is a qb tackle trap? Sounds interesting .... Is it simply a follow?
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

Bulldawg71,
    We really emphasis the ride with our Belly Series. The QB simply takes his Belly steps, stays low and rides the FB, pulls and takes the Tackle Trap path. The play hits north quickly. I hope that made sense.

9. Default

So basically QB does a 360 from snap to ride and hit hole phase?
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

Bulldawg71,
    That is correct

Thread Information