Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bucksweep - Coaching Points Thread

1. Default Bucksweep - Coaching Points Thread

Ours is that we don't have backside tackle block anyone first level and send him on a touchdown block. I know not revolutionary, but this has really given us big plays when we really started coaching it hard.

What's yours?

Make your defense as simple as possible

"Cloudy minds make slow feet"

Pull right block right... (Pulling right use right shoulder/Pulling left use left shoulder)

Just something I say to reinforce the correct shoulder to use on the block on the force.

Backside guard... eyeball the backer for run through while pulling, dip shoulder and grab grass as you turn up through the hole.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep
    Pull right block right... (Pulling right use right shoulder/Pulling left use left shoulder)

Just something I say to reinforce the correct shoulder to use on the block on the force.

Backside guard... eyeball the backer for run through while pulling, dip shoulder and grab grass as you turn up through the hole.
    Coaches
    Bryan and the staff at Westhampton Beach LI are VERY GOOD at running the bucksweep and the wing T for that matter. They are a great resource for this play. I watched them at one of their summer practices and was so impressed I am even thinking about running the buck.
    Coach Wright

For the ball carrier:

Get me four, then more.

Translation: this is a 4 yard play. Get four yards. It is usually there. When you start looking for the homerun, many times it turns into a loss or small gain.

Find the seam for 4 yards or make one, then go get more.

Quote Originally Posted by silkyice
    For the ball carrier:

Get me four, then more.

Translation: this is a 4 yard play. Get four yards. It is usually there. When you start looking for the homerun, many times it turns into a loss or small gain.

Find the seam for 4 yards or make one, then go get more.
    I like that!
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Quote Originally Posted by JWright
    Coaches
    Bryan and the staff at Westhampton Beach LI are VERY GOOD at running the bucksweep and the wing T for that matter. They are a great resource for this play. I watched them at one of their summer practices and was so impressed I am even thinking about running the buck.
    Coach Wright
    Thanks coach. Our biggest thing that we do is REPS! The guards have to get the rhythm of the play and the back has to get a feel for how to run it. I could only image how many times a player in our program would run bucksweep between freshman and senior year. This year I told the team that they should be able to run Sweep at their 20th high school reunion.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Coaches
    I am going to give you one from Glen McNew that he says is a HUGE KEY to this play:
    Have an "ALERT" adjustment and call for when the defense places someone outside the WB. We refer to this as a HOT 2.
    ALERT ADJUSTMENT:
    1.This let's the frontside guard know that he is not going to bell step and instead he is going to take a trap path and kick out the HOT 2.
    2. This also let's the ball carrier know that this play is not going to go outside and will be a tight cut.
    Hope it helps
    Coach Wright

Quote Originally Posted by JWright
    Coaches
    I am going to give you one from Glen McNew that he says is a HUGE KEY to this play:
    Have an "ALERT" adjustment and call for when the defense places someone outside the WB. We refer to this as a HOT 2.
    ALERT ADJUSTMENT:
    1.This let's the frontside guard know that he is not going to bell step and instead he is going to take a trap path and kick out the HOT 2.
    2. This also let's the ball carrier know that this play is not going to go outside and will be a tight cut.
    Hope it helps
    Coach Wright
    Another great coaching point.

On the front side guards path... I feel this coaching point is very important. A lot of teams run buck with a trap path by the guard all the time. There is a reason for the "Bell" step by the PSG. First, it allows the guard to avoid all the garbage at the LOS (i.e. penetration). Second, it times up the contact of the PSG and the force player and the cut by the back perfectly.

When you are running the buck great you can close your eyes and should be able to hear the blocks hit.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep
    Another great coaching point.

On the front side guards path... I feel this coaching point is very important. A lot of teams run buck with a trap path by the guard all the time. There is a reason for the "Bell" step by the PSG. First, it allows the guard to avoid all the garbage at the LOS (i.e. penetration). Second, it times up the contact of the PSG and the force player and the cut by the back perfectly.

When you are running the buck great you can close your eyes and should be able to hear the blocks hit.
    Coach, Can you explain the "bell step" a little more?

I like the trap right block right. I got the same coaching point from a friend of mine who runs alot of Down and stole it from him on our Down. Clicks alot more for our kids then "head in the hole".

How often are you repping things like sweep drill, 4 corner 90* cuts, etc. to work on your bucksweep? I've always heard that Buck was time intensive but I'm curious as to just how time intensive it is for you guys.

Thread Information