Thread: Same side Down from the Gun

1. Default Same side Down from the Gun

Saw Coach Hubbard in Atlantic City. Also bought his DVDs. He mentioned how he changed his FBs footwork when running Down with Rocket motion behind it. He had the FB turn his shoulders to the sidelines, take 3 steps, then turn toward the los, get the hand off, and go. Reason was it helps sell Rocket. Anyway, does anyone do it this way? If so, can you go over the footwork and mesh in detail? Tried it last Week and it looked awkward. Thanks.

Default Pitch

I have not tried running Down off of Rocket motion like that. Curious, how does he have the QB pitch? I think I have seen him in a video before having his QB open the direction of the play on Rocket and having the QB pitch like a two-hand basketball chest pass.
    Last edited by jbacholzky; 04-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbacholzky View Post
    I have not tried running Rocket like that. Curious, how does he have the QB pitch? I think I have seen him in a video before having his QB open the direction of the play and having the QB pitch like a two-hand basketball chest pass.
    I think it is down off the rocket motion. I can see that having some merit, but another thing to teach and I want that fullback hitting the hole hard and fast on down. I can see it working though.

Bryan
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jbacholzky View Post
    I have not tried running Down off of Rocket motion like that. Curious, how does he have the QB pitch? I think I have seen him in a video before having his QB open the direction of the play on Rocket and having the QB pitch like a two-hand basketball chest pass.
    You're right. The Rocket Hubbard teaches has a basketball style chest pass.

Down With the Rocket action...it looks like the FB is leading, then he hits the 2/8 hole. When we tried it, it did look a lot like Rocket. However, the mesh point wasn't consistent.
    Last edited by EM44; 04-25-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Default Down

OK guys... I'm going to "throw a monkey wrench in the works!" I think Rocket out of shotgun looks "awkward" at best and downright "bad" the rest of the time! Then you start adjusting a base play like Down to fit a play that doesn't "fit" the shotgun action and alignment anyway... now you're just getting too "creative" for me!
    We "bagged" Down as a play when we went to Shotgun cuz it just doesn't seem to "mesh up" in Shotgun. Mike Parsons out in Modesto CA ran it with the Full being on the "away" side of the QB... we thought that hit too slow.
    Don't fall into the "Pit of Despair" that too many OC's sink in: trying to be too creative and RE-invent the wheel. Like the guy who asked Tubby once, "Do you ever run the Wing T with no Fullback?" Tubby kinda snickered and said, "Welllllllllll... it's not the Wing T if you don't have a Fullback behind the QB. So, no... we don't!"
    Blessings, Lew

I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes down to the rocket toss from shotgun When I looked for some film to show it does work, I simply ran across some stuff that Coach James Vint had posted on his page which featured base triple option plays out of the diamond formation.

This clip will show you rocket toss, midline read, as well as veer option stuff. Below is the link to the game film and hope this can help out the discussion topic.

https://youtu.be/Pb_Essakw1c

I agree with Lew that it hits too slow. We tried to run it faking a flip to the Jet back and handing it off to the offset FB. It was just OK and not worth the work and timing. We were successful running Rocket from Pistol as the team on the film did. If you want to try something run Inside Zone to the same side as Rocket. Have the FB in Pistol take a lateral step then aim for the outside hip of the PSG. The QB reverses and fakes the Rocket Toss and the FB should be right there to take the HO. You need to run it to the 1 so the PST takes the 5; the PSG/OC combo the 1 to the Mike; the BSG has the 3; the BST punches through the 5 to the Sam. It's better with a TE backside so you can account for everyone. Now the BSG/BST combo the 3 to the Sam and the TE cuts off the 9. If you run it to the 3 with a TE block it the same as above just widen the PSG split and tighten the PST split so that combo is easier. Basically it's 2 doubles on the 1&3.

I also agree with Lew about not trying to reinvent the wheel. Find someone who's done it well and ask them about the particulars. If you bought their stuff they should be willing to help you.

Rich Erdelyi

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Erdelyi View Post
    I agree with Lew that it hits too slow. We tried to run it faking a flip to the Jet back and handing it off to the offset FB. It was just OK and not worth the work and timing. We were successful running Rocket from Pistol as the team on the film did. If you want to try something run Inside Zone to the same side as Rocket. Have the FB in Pistol take a lateral step then aim for the outside hip of the PSG. The QB reverses and fakes the Rocket Toss and the FB should be right there to take the HO. You need to run it to the 1 so the PST takes the 5; the PSG/OC combo the 1 to the Mike; the BSG has the 3; the BST punches through the 5 to the Sam. It's better with a TE backside so you can account for everyone. Now the BSG/BST combo the 3 to the Sam and the TE cuts off the 9. If you run it to the 3 with a TE block it the same as above just widen the PSG split and tighten the PST split so that combo is easier. Basically it's 2 doubles on the 1&3.

I also agree with Lew about not trying to reinvent the wheel. Find someone who's done it well and ask them about the particulars. If you bought their stuff they should be willing to help you.

Rich Erdelyi
    He did. Thanks.

Default we run hubbard's rocket

Quote Originally Posted by EM44 View Post
    He did. Thanks.
    coaches,

we run hubbard's rocket from the gun.

we've found ways to conflict the de and the inside out flow with a gap scheme to the rocket action and with an iso scheme to the rocket action.

our counter criss cross is basically counter trey coming back against the rocket motion.

i always try to keep in mind that as we've evolved from under center wing t, to gun wing t the important principles of a) timing and deception go hand in hand b) if you don't have a play, a play pass, and a counter off of it, YOU DON'T have an ORDER OF FOOTBALL. You have a grab bag.

It's help keep me disciplined when I have 2 coffees and a prep period and a white board. You can get way creative which isn't always good.
    Sometime the things we come up with seem easy because it's all we think about. But will it be easy to assistant coaches who have other jobs, freshmen trying football for the 1st time, or a basketball player who comes out as a junior?

message me if you'd like to see some clips.

--andy cammarano

From the videos I have from Coach Hubbard, his Down play is not the Wing-T down Play, it is a long trap play. Play side blocks down and back side guard kicks DE.

Thread Information