Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bucksweep - Coaching Points Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb
    Coach, Can you explain the "bell step" a little more?

I like the trap right block right. I got the same coaching point from a friend of mine who runs alot of Down and stole it from him on our Down. Clicks alot more for our kids then "head in the hole".

How often are you repping things like sweep drill, 4 corner 90* cuts, etc. to work on your bucksweep? I've always heard that Buck was time intensive but I'm curious as to just how time intensive it is for you guys.
    Coach here is the bucksweep drill we use. I do not know where the original link went on my page but this an old link.

http://web.archive.org/web/200608112...weep_drill.htm

We will run Sweep Drill a lot. It will be one of the first things I do with the line in pre-season camp and I will do it with the line everyday during camp.
    The backs will do the 4 corner 90 degree cut in camp but not so much in season. The backs never practice blocking enough IMO but they should be working on a good down block several times a week.

In season we will run Sweep drill almost everyday including the day before a game.

I like to run at as a high intensity, high speed drill against shields. ( I do not like stand up bags.) I will run it 5 times each way and I will get after the players ass to do it full tilt, full speed. I want to see bodies on the ground.

I will run it live against a certain defense or stunt we might see. (Slant, Blitz, Hard Force)

The key is to have the scout team do their part. I tell the scout where the block is coming from so there are no blind side hits. Have the scout squat low and "hold the bag like player!" I cheat up the shield holders on the line in the neutral zone or closer if needed.

Here is another thing I do that helps. IMO the backs never get after it like I want so I will but a good kid that never steps on the field but tries real hard and wants to help the team at DE during the drill and tell to get off the ball. It is the Wingbacks job to block him. There is no where to hide and that back better get after it or everyone will see.

NO PEACE TREATIES!!! No hit the bag and stop and go through the motions. Block to the whistle.

You the coach sets the intensity of the drill. Get after their asses!

Because of the Sweep Drill we do not run much sweep during Team.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Nice posts Bryan!

We see so much "skating" by defenders instead of true pentration that our landmarks are constantly changing. Our coaching point on the play is that I tell the OG's they can NEVER EVER, EVER get too deep on their pulls and their eyes are the most important part of the play. The depth helps the eyes find their targets. Sometimes when we run a sweep drill I will literally put a body (sometimes mine &/or another coach) 2yards deep in the backfield in the ps-A & C gaps to make the OG's get their depth & find their targets.

Coaches
    Told you Bryan knew his stuff.
    Coach Wright

Bryan, you got me fired up just reading, and I don't even have a coaching job at the moment!

Another couple of coaching points.

Put a starting LB at the force position. They are tougher and give better looks for the guard.

Have a shield holder outside the force player to represent the corner. Have the BST haul ass on the touchdown block. This is tough so I will sub a back up tackle after 3 times in a row.

Same goes for SE or BSTE have a shield holder at the FS position and have them haul ass for the cutoff block.

If you guys are like our teams you will have an army of useless "WRs" Line up two and have one run the cutoff block and one run a called route. Have the QB hand the ball off and a coach with a second ball hand off to the QB off his fake where he runs waggle and throws the called route by coach.

I haven't done it in awhile but during the drill when the team was getting winded I would yell "Run the Sweep!" and the offense would respond to "To Win!" It helped set the mind set.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Ok, now I want to run Bucksweep

Awesome explanation Bryan!

7. Default Coaching Points

Couple of our coaching points:

Ball Carrier should get on the hip of the backside guard and let him guide you through the hole. (This helps both the BSG and Ball Carrier stay on track)

Ball carrier needs to return from where he started. We set a cone about 15 yards downfield from where the halfback lines up. As he cuts back off the touchdown block he needs to sprint away through the cone to finish the drill.

We tell our Halfback and Quick Tackle that they should race to the point of the touchdown block. The tackle should always win because he has less steps. If he doesn't win he is loafing.

BSG needs to find the hip of the wingback to finish the wall.

QB and FB should have shoulder pads clicking together on fakes. (Results in broken noses with no pads!!! But good fakes)

Great analogy for all pulling linemen and fullback kickout blocks: We tell the pullers/ko to imagine they are a car and we are going to ram into a tree. If you drill the tree straight on the tree is going to win and we have a stalemate. If you drill that tree with your right headlight (shoulder) the momentum of impact will swing you inside the hole (left of tree). Same thing goes for left headlight.

We hammer our back Guards and ball carries not to over run the hole...squeeze and skim the Wing back's block. I tell our ball carrier it's like being a new driver....if you turn the wheel too late when turning, you have to make a slow, rounded turn to make it. If you overrun the hole, you have to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep
    I like that!
    Thanks, but I think I stole that from Tubby!

I added this to the top of the forum as a sticky. I think it is a good thread to refer to and add to from time to time.

Bryan
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Thread Information