Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angled-in HB's

1. Default Angled-in HB's

We run our HB's square to the LOS, as most wing-t teams I've seen do. However, some angle the HB's inside facing the OT or TE. What are reasons one would have the HB angled in vs. square to the LOS? Is the primary reason to help on the down block? Any thoughts are appreciated.

The HC for the last twelve years had the WBs cocked in. He firmly believed that the angle was necessary for the down block on Bucksweep.

I had squared up my WBs the last four years as a 7th and 9th grade coach. He was not going to change the way he did it, but never told me that I had to cock my WBs.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

I am not exactly sure what the reasons are for angling the wingbacks in, but here are my reasons that I don't.

Wingback hook blocking. Dang near impossible angled in.

Wingback pass releasing. Very difficult angled in.

Which foot do you step with on your down block if you are angled in? I never can get someone to give me a convincing answer on that one. If you are parallel you step with your inside foot no doubt.

Lineman down block just fine lined up parallel.

Augustana College won D-3 National Titles in '83-'84-'85-'86 and always had WB's angled in at 45 degrees with inside foot back. In their form of Wing-T this stance allowed better angle on down block and quicker release on 3 Step Motion.
    silkyice has great rationale as to why go to a parallel stance ! Just my thoughts ...

Denny Dierick

Quote Originally Posted by silkyice

Lineman down block just fine lined up parallel.
    This is the biggest point that I made when "justifying" my choice to square up the WBs. Old habits die hard.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Default Tilted

Interesting points! Let me ask you this: 1- do you take the "normal" 2-2-3 ft. splits along the line? 2- do you put your O line down in their 3 point stance as soon as they get to the line OR... do they start in a 2-point and go down to a 3 on command? 3- do you huddle 4 yards from the line or 6 yards? 4- does your QB face the line when huddling up OR... the rest of the huddle face the line?
    Do you see what I'm getting at Coach? Does it really matter whether they tilt in or align straight up? There is always room for "personal preference" when it comes to things like this. My pastor cautions us not to get into disagreements over interpretation of Scripture ("Don't major in the minors," he says!) I think that applies here. If you are comfortable teaching your HB's to align straight ahead then... coach the heck out of it THAT way.
    My first exposure to organized football was in Jr. High back in the 60's. (that's 1960's... NOT 18's!!!!) Our coach was an old Bob Neyland disciple of the Tenn. Single Wing. The Wingback "tilted in" in his alignment. When I started coaching the Wing T in 1989, I just fell back on what I'd be first taught as an 8th grade player... and had our Wing tilt in. IF... I'd been told to align him up straight, that's the way I'd have done it.
    Is there an "advantage" one way or the other? Only if you begin to "second guess" yourself and plant seeds of doubt in your staff and players' minds!
    Do it the way you feel comfortable.
    An aside: we are, for only the second time in 23 seasons of running the Del. Wing T, going to put our Fullback down in a 3 point stance!! Tubby says: "all 3 backs are in a 2-point stance." and most of the time, I agree. It just so happens that we are converting one of our Guards to Fullback and he gets out of his stance a lot quicker and a lot more comfortably when down in a 3 point. Does it matter? I want our Offense to hit on all cylinders. If it means putting him in a 3 point... so be it! Don't major on the minors.
    Blessings,
    Lew

The main reason WE have done it is to get that Down block when a DE is headup the TE/Tackle. Being square makes it tougher but not impossible to get that guy.

We use a staggered stance, but our shoulders are square. We got it from Chuck Apap years ago and it has worked well for us. Our wings stagger their inside foot toe to instep, but with shoulders square, hands at top of thigh pad. I think it is the best of both worlds from a down block vs arc release point of view.

I also bought into the Chuck Apap approach for a while, but now allow the WB's to choose either the staggered stance or parallel. We tilted for the first 5-6 years but changed. The main reason we switched away from the tilt alignment was the reach block for jet was more efficient, especially vs. Hot-2 force defenders on LOS & the releases on pass routes were much cleaner.

Coach Lew
    I think it does not matter what stance from a performance issue, but I was always taught by Herschel Moore you want that guy up, so the defense could see him and this added to the deception of the offense.
    Coach Wright

Thread Information