Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eliminate/modify Bucksweep

Default eliminate/modify Bucksweep

Coaches,
    I'm currently evaluating our offense. This past season, we ran Bucksweep less than 1 time a game (we attack the 1/9 with Rocket, Jet, Belly Sweep, and Slant Sweep.) We are taking it out, but this will obviously render waggle and counter xx useless. Does anyone run buck action to the 2/8 hole w/ a Down scheme?

We ran Buck very little this year, for the same reasons you did. It did not however, render Waggle or XX useless what-so-ever. We ran waggle and XX off our Jet action with great success. In fact, Jet XX was our best play. I think waggle off Jet or Rocket is sometimes more effective than off traditional BuckSweep because many times you get a heavy rotation in the secondary with the Jet/Rocket motion, and waggle takes advantage of that.

Just my thoughts.

Default 122 & 928 Gut

It uses bucksweep action except it is an inside handoff to the hb, who opens flat for one step & then dives for the outside leg of the playside tackle. it uses gut blocking which for us was:
    Wing: First person inside off the LOS
    TE: Down Block
    Playside Tackle: Down Block
    Playside Guard: Gut Pull (pull & lead through the hole)
    Center: Fire On Backer
    Backside Guard: Pull & Kickout the Playside DE
    Backside Tackle: Cut-off Block

My question coach is this? How well did you run trap? I started disliking my bucksweep for a while (I used down sweep more) and then I realized, that I didn't run trap very well. (Our worst O-linemen was our C). When we improved out Center spot, trap was more successful and that opened up bucksweep.
    If one play in the series isn't working, you have to find out how the other plays in the series are working as well, especially with the buck series! For example, if defenses aren't going to respect trap, then you're only really threatening two points of the defense as opposed to three. This simplifies the defenses reads by 33%! So, if the defense is doing less reading, they are probably doing more reacting, giving them the advantage.
    Good luck,
    Metz
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

5. Default slant sweep?

A little off topic but whats slant sweep?
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

Default Sweep

Coach,
    A few years back. I was in your same shoes. I was really taking a hard look at eliminating sweep. This past season, after my midlife crisis with the bucksweep,,,, I fell back in love with the play. If we could run sweep effectively then it was a great night for us offensively. It sets so many plays up,,, I could not find a way to eliminate it and keep the rest of the buck-series effective.

Default slant sweep

Bulldog71, Some guys call the down play-the slant. Slant sweep may be the down sweep. John

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by james
    Coaches,
    I'm currently evaluating our offense. This past season, we ran Bucksweep less than 1 time a game (we attack the 1/9 with Rocket, Jet, Belly Sweep, and Slant Sweep.) We are taking it out, but this will obviously render waggle and counter xx useless. Does anyone run buck action to the 2/8 hole w/ a Down scheme?
    Coach: A 20 series consisting solely of Jet Sweep and its complement, and an 80 series consisting of Belly, Down and their respective complements (including the Sweeps, Keep Passes, Tackle Trap, TT Pass and QB Follow) give me everything that Buck used to and more. In addition, Green Light Jet Sweep gets the ball outside faster than Buck, while Red Light gives me a useful C gap weapon.

As another coach noted, cutting down the ground game to those essentials gives me more time to work on the pass, screens, draws, and specials.

You may have seen a youth Wing-T playbook floating around that I did early last year; it is laid out as I describe the offense above for exactly the reasons I mention, because youth practice time is so limited and precious:

Youth Wing-T Playbook

(And yes, I do spend a good bit of time with the passing game at the youth level, mainly because defenses have such a hard time defending the flats and the deep ball simultaneously.)

Regards,

Ted Seay
    Vienna, Austria

Default Coach Seay

Would you please be so kind as to get a novice up to speed. What is Green Light Jet Sweep & Red Light? Thanks.

Slant Sweep = Down Sweep. Sorry for not explaining.

Thread Information