Thread: Trap v. Pinching 4 Techs

Default Trap v. Pinching 4 Techs

Play a 3-3 team this week that generally plays their DT's in 4 Techniques (Head up on OT) and against the Wing T team they played that we had film on did alot of pinching with those DTs (playing them into the B gap).

Anyway, my question is how would trap work out against this front with those DTs pinching into the B gap? Do the Tackles take them and lock on or do they some how avoid them (go around?) and then get to the MLB?

I know that trap is not a great play against this look but want to be prepared in case we have trap called and they react like this.

Trapping them would not be too difficult. They would basically just be moving your trap tighter. Release outside with your OT to MLB.
    2 Corinthians - 4:7-18
    Thank you Lord for I am blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcziska
    Trapping them would not be too difficult. They would basically just be moving your trap tighter. Release outside with your OT to MLB.
    Coach, how would you coach up your T's for this scenario as their are times the DTs play into the C gap and other times where they pinch?

Just have them take their initial step inside and if the defender tries to cross their face just let him go and go over the top?

I have told my tackles to take a quick vertical jab step with their outside foot, plant, and then take an angle about a yard in front of the mike LB. We essentially take zones on our down blocks. I feel that this is necessary with the amount of stunting 3-3's and 3-4's that we see. The PSG aims right at the noseman's hip. He may block the nose or sometimes the Mike if has walked up and stunts playside A.

The PST aims a yard in front of the Mike, and the TE or wing (if you don't play a TE) aims right at the Mike. There is a seam between the PSG's down block and the PST's down block where the Mike can slide through. We hope he is fast enough because this puts him on the path of the pulling guard, and we'll trap the Mike. I will say that whenever we have trapped the LB, it has gone for huge yardage This does take a LOT of work, but I tell my guys that as long as they sprint, good things will happen.

My attack would be off-tackle & perimeter to force OLB to play outside with unbalanced looks & cracking him with jet, rocket, buck sweep, & down. Once the OLB moves outside & they become a 3-4, then you can run inside. If the DTs pinch, use the odd block scheme (fold) with guards blocking out on DTs & tackles gutting to LBs.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb
    Coach, how would you coach up your T's for this scenario as their are times the DTs play into the C gap and other times where they pinch?

Just have them take their initial step inside and if the defender tries to cross their face just let him go and go over the top?
    If I had a defender that pinched quite a bit I would outside release regardless. If the DT gets an OT releasing to his outside he should step outside. He should get an earful of pulling guard. Just as if he has gets an OT releasing inside he should be taught to squeeze the inside gap.

I have always taght my guards to trap tight. If they are ready to trap a 2 technique they can easily trap a 5. Even if your OT outside releases and they send a LB in the B gap your pulling guard would end up trapping the backer.
    2 Corinthians - 4:7-18
    Thank you Lord for I am blessed.

Kevin
    Here is the key to it:
    Have the OT run through the outside of the 4 tech as he goes. This will force him to do 2 things:
    1. Slow down his slant, thus giving time for the guard to trap him.
    2. Confuse him making him think he is being blocked.

However the best way to combat this is to:
    Fan Block the play. The offensive guard blocks out on 4. The OT blocks out on the 9 and the pulling guard wraps into the hole for LBER.
    Good Luck
    Coach Wright

Thread Information