Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waggle Reads

Default Waggle Reads

How do you teach your QB to read the Waggle?

Does it change based on if your QB is able to get to the flank or if he is forced to pull up?

2. Default Run First

1. Run first especially if we have an athlete at QB that can run. This really puts pressure on the over hang player in the flat. They have to decide to defend the QB or the FB. If he comes after the QB, then a sitting CB or spinning safety needs to pick up the FB in the flat. Possibly an ILB is in chase on the FB.

(Now here is where coaches have some different options.)

2. Flat to the FB right away.

3. SE

4. TE on the Drag

5. WB on the Go down the middle of the field.

Every team will defend your team differently each week. Depending on the defense, and what they are trying to take away will make your game planning easier for your QB. The nice thing about the waggle is that we can change routes to adjust and create conflict with they defend the flanks

Default Waggle Reads

Tubby and Ted taught to come off the fake and "read" the Free Safety. I think there is a tremendous differrence in how to read it based on your QB's feet. I like what was said above: "attack the edge with an athletic qb and force the action." However, what do you teach him if the DE or OLB forces deep upfield and makes your QB pull up inside? OR... you have a QB that you are not even going to attack the flat with? We teach it this way: If you "pull up"... your eyes go to the F/S. If he sits back in CF, then hit the TE dragging at 12-14. If the F/S rolls across towards to roll-out/play-side, set up and hit the Wingback going deep on the Post "behind" the F/S. By "behind" I mean: not only "deeper/behind" but... stay "behind" him (to his back-side) as you get deep.
    We also block Waggle the old Paul Dietzel LSU ("Chinese Bandits" defense) way that won the national championship in 1959. With a running QB, we LOVE it. If any of you would like to see those blocking rules, please email me at lzj111@verizon.net.
    Blessings
    Lew

Quote Originally Posted by SDFBwingt
    1. Run first especially if we have an athlete at QB that can run. This really puts pressure on the over hang player in the flat. They have to decide to defend the QB or the FB. If he comes after the QB, then a sitting CB or spinning safety needs to pick up the FB in the flat. Possibly an ILB is in chase on the FB.

(Now here is where coaches have some different options.)

2. Flat to the FB right away.

3. SE

4. TE on the Drag

5. WB on the Go down the middle of the field.

Every team will defend your team differently each week. Depending on the defense, and what they are trying to take away will make your game planning easier for your QB. The nice thing about the waggle is that we can change routes to adjust and create conflict with they defend the flanks
    Thanks coach. Thats very similar to how we teach ours, currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Lew J
    Tubby and Ted taught to come off the fake and "read" the Free Safety. I think there is a tremendous differrence in how to read it based on your QB's feet. I like what was said above: "attack the edge with an athletic qb and force the action." However, what do you teach him if the DE or OLB forces deep upfield and makes your QB pull up inside? OR... you have a QB that you are not even going to attack the flat with? We teach it this way: If you "pull up"... your eyes go to the F/S. If he sits back in CF, then hit the TE dragging at 12-14. If the F/S rolls across towards to roll-out/play-side, set up and hit the Wingback going deep on the Post "behind" the F/S. By "behind" I mean: not only "deeper/behind" but... stay "behind" him (to his back-side) as you get deep.
    We also block Waggle the old Paul Dietzel LSU ("Chinese Bandits" defense) way that won the national championship in 1959. With a running QB, we LOVE it. If any of you would like to see those blocking rules, please email me at lzj111@verizon.net.
    Blessings
    Lew
    I see what you are saying coach. That makes alot of sense. Allow your QB to make his reads based off of where he is at, kinda.

If you are running it and not even trying to have your QB break contain does your QB ever look at the FB in the flat? Or is it only a Drag to Post read?

6. Default

Yes. You can still read the FS like LEW said above.

Years when we do not have a running QB we will pull our BSG only and have him Kick Out the force and keep PSG in to protect play side. We call this "Solid". The QB sets up behind the PST with depth.

It you are good at running the Buck Series the Waggle really makes it tough on the FS. So keep reading that FS even if you pull up in a Solid look or can't break contain.

Yes. You can still read the FS like LEW said above.

Years when we do not have a running QB we will pull our BSG only and have him Kick Out the force and keep PSG in to protect play side. We call this "Solid". The QB sets up behind the PST with depth.

It you are good at running the Buck Series the Waggle really makes it tough on the FS. So keep reading that FS even if you pull up in a Solid look or can't break contain.
    Coach, how are you reading Solid as far as the route progression and how does that compare to the Traditional Buck Waggle?

Good discussion topic.

My former HC/OC would have said, "Short (FB), Deep (SE), Drag (TE)." He also said that the TE was very often where they'd make their money, coming late like he did. Also indicates the speed of recent QBs, if they had time to wait on the TE.

The varsity assistant, who was the JV OC would have said, "Run, Run, Short." :-)

At the camps that Tom and Dave put on, Dave works with the QBs on their reads with the "Deep, Short, Run" philosophy. Dave also mentions that he does not want the QB to look for the TE initially. My memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but I believe that the QB is not "allowed" to include the dragging TE in his progression until the coach tells him that he can. Gotta be ready.

Another "nugget" that I learned from Dave is the verbal progression. As the QB waggles out, he calls out, "Deep: I like it!" and throws, or "Deep: I don't like it! Short: I like it!" and throws, OR "Deep: I don't like it! Short: I don't like it! GO! GO! GO!" as he runs. Dave says that he can then have a coachable moment with the kid, asking what he saw that made him "Like it" or not "Like it."

As for my personal way to teach it, I go with "Short, Deep, Run" (It is a pass, after all) at the start, but tell them that they are never wrong (in my eyes) to run it.

9. Default

I agree. Trojan gives a good progression that we use as our based reads too.

One adjustment we make is a "Pre Snap" look at the FS. Staying with the Buck Series, if the FS rolls with the motion to the TE side then "Deep" is there with the SE in a single high look or the FB if a switch call is on.

We have had years where our SE was fast/athletic, and teams keep their FS towards the SE for a cloud look and help over the top. TE or WB should be open either with the Drag or Go route.

We also like to switch the routes of the TE & WB. We like to find our WB under the TE's Go route through the LOS or C Gap as this tends to get him lost. We especially do this with teams that like to use their LB's to Re-Route the TE. Let the TE get width off the ball and climb away from the LB's. This makes the LB's widen with him as they try to re-route him (They have been coached this all week) and creating a nice run through to space for the WB as he runs the drag. We use this concept on our Sprint Out series.

Let the TE get width off the ball and climb away from the LB's. This makes the LB's widen with him as they try to re-route him (They have been coached this all week) and creating a nice run through to space for the WB as he runs the drag.
    Nice idea.

That might pair well with a flexed TE (or "nasty" split, as I think some call it).

SE........................T..G..C..G..T.......TE
    .......................HB.........Q.........WB
    ....................................F

Thread Information