Thread: Pistol Wing-T

Default Pistol Wing-T

Can all wing-t series be run from the pistol wing-t formation?
    What plays do you need to stay away from?

I believe Rick Stewart basically runs everything that is "traditional" Wing T from the Pistol. He's got alot of videos out through Championship Productions.

Rick Stewart mentioned that Trap hits noticeably slower from the pistol, so you might consider replacing that with something else (or eliminating it).

We ran some pistol wing-T last year as an auxilary package. Through trial and error, and an @$$ kicking or two, these were the plays we stayed away from or realy didnt like to run in the pistol that we loved from under center

-Counter XX (double handoff)

-Down

-Trap (which killed us because it is one of our best plays from under center. However it almost takes a full second longer for the Fullback to break the line of scrimmage which just doesnt work for us)

-Rocket (I know some people do it and do it well, but for us we just felt there was other plays that fit the same purpose)

-Play action passes not as deceptive

Here is some plays I thought were better in the pistol at times as opposed to under center:
    -Red Light Jet Sweep (C gap Jet with down G blocking scheme, *probaly the play that benefited the most since the back had more vision)

-Belly (depending on the back, they could see more and it really turned into an old fashion I formation Iso play)

-QB Trap off of jet motion (or really any QB run game for that matter)

-Midline

-3 step/quick passing game and downfield passing game

We are only a few days into spring practice. So far we've put in from the pistol:
    Rocket
    Belly (Base/Ice)
    Inside Veer
    Midline

Rocket and Belly looked really good. Rocket timing specifically was a concern as it's a big part of our offense.

For inside veer and midline, we had some issues, but I think those can be resolved by getting better footwork from our QB's and better aiming points from our FB's. I think throwing Midline and Inside Veer at our kids on the same day was a mistake so we'll see how things improve over the course of spring ball.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachStanley
    We are only a few days into spring practice. So far we've put in from the pistol:
    Rocket
    Belly (Base/Ice)
    Inside Veer
    Midline

Rocket and Belly looked really good. Rocket timing specifically was a concern as it's a big part of our offense.

For inside veer and midline, we had some issues, but I think those can be resolved by getting better footwork from our QB's and better aiming points from our FB's. I think throwing Midline and Inside Veer at our kids on the same day was a mistake so we'll see how things improve over the course of spring ball.
    Nate
    Look at my post I put on jetsweep for you about fixing those problems
    Coach Wright

Thread Information