Thread: Do you need down?

1. Default Do you need down?

Coaches,
    In an effort to condense the play book and minimize blocking schemes, we've been toying with the idea of scrapping down for the upcoming season. Before I committ to the decision, I was hoping to get your thoughts. Is it a necessary scheme? What does it bring to the table that other plays/schemes do not? Thanks for all the great ideas and help!

We don't run it and haven't missed it. On the other hand, every offense is built slightly different. I think it keeps the DE in conflict. And if you run it well, the Pass off of it is devastating. My hat's off to you for condensing. I'm doing the same thing. How many play do you have and what would you like to get it down to?

Down is probably our 2nd most called run play. For us, it's our way to run our FB off-tackle. Also, it's a good conflict play for the TE side DE.

What do you have to the FB to TE side?

Whether from a Wing-T or Hybrid Wing-T offense I personally feel that Down is a staple of the offense. Down is the Wing-T version of Outside Veer without having to implement reads. Majority of Wing-T teams use a TE and Down is a great play to TE Flank. Year in and year out Down, Belly, and Trap have been very efficient plays for the FB in this offense. Down is also a very low maintenance type play in that once players learn the rules you can run this plays versus all fronts. Finally, whether the Flank attack features Buck, Jet or Rocket Sweep the Down is a great compliment play to put DE in assignment conflict. I personally would never coach the Wing-T without Down.

5. Default

Right now the plays we have going to the FB to the TE side would be belly and trap, with a toss play and a counter mixed in. We have used down with varying degrees of success in the past, so I'm not really sold on eliminating it. For me it's more about blocking schemes, not plays, per se. As of now, the schemes we have are the following:

Midline
    Trap (including counters)
    Sweep (including truck/laser)
    Belly (including belly sweep--we don't pull)
    Outside Zone (Jet /Rocket)
    Scissors (Counter XX)

This makes 6 schemes already, and I'm not sure 7 is too many or not. We don't two platoon, so we have to maximize our allotted time. If we continue using down, do we have to eliminate something? Only a dollar to spend! Looking forward to more feedback! Thanks!

We love running Down. The only way we wouldn't have this in our offense is if we had absolutely no one to play TE.

We run primarily the Slot T. It is in the book, but not a staple of our offense. It doesn't time up for us nearly as nicely as it does for you wing T guys. Generally slot T teams are of the 'sniffer' variety. It's not a useless play for us, just way more high maintenance for us than for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Dierick
    Whether from a Wing-T or Hybrid Wing-T offense I personally feel that Down is a staple of the offense. Down is the Wing-T version of Outside Veer without having to implement reads. Majority of Wing-T teams use a TE and Down is a great play to TE Flank. Year in and year out Down, Belly, and Trap have been very efficient plays for the FB in this offense. Down is also a very low maintenance type play in that once players learn the rules you can run this plays versus all fronts. Finally, whether the Flank attack features Buck, Jet or Rocket Sweep the Down is a great compliment play to put DE in assignment conflict. I personally would never coach the Wing-T without Down.
    I am on board with this. I love Down and think it is a very important play in the offense. And as a Wing-T offense that does run Outside Veer, I think it helps that play too. When the TE steps down, I think it's harder for the DE to dance around and play games with your mesh read when he's just as likely to be kicked out by the frontside guard after the same initial look.

I agree with Denny. Down is a staple. We run it as a compliement to Jet, Rocket, Belly Sweep. We try to minimize blocking schemes and run different types of motion (or no motion) and different backfield actions which the Wing T is about. The down scheme fits nicely in our plans. Coach, Keep it in your run game!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

10. Default

We had a kid run for over 240 yards (out of 330) off the down in one game last year and score 4 (out of his 7 TDs) off this play, I like the conflict it presents.

Thread Information