Thread: Game Week Practice Structure

1. Default Game Week Practice Structure

We are a Wing T team, but this is a question about how you set-up your game week practices. We have been a platoon setup for 27 years where we started very few - if any - players both ways. We are looking at going to more of a traditional setup as we will be starting maybe 4-5 both ways.

So, for those of you who have JV games on Mondays and play quite a few both ways can you share with me your weekly organization as far as what you stress on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

1, Do you set one day for offense and another for defense, etc.
    or
    2. Do you split it each day with part of the practice on offense and part on defense?
    3. How do you work in your kicking game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roger71
    We are a Wing T team, but this is a question about how you set-up your game week practices. We have been a platoon setup for 27 years where we started very few - if any - players both ways. We are looking at going to more of a traditional setup as we will be starting maybe 4-5 both ways.

So, for those of you who have JV games on Mondays and play quite a few both ways can you share with me your weekly organization as far as what you stress on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

1, Do you set one day for offense and another for defense, etc.
    or
    2. Do you split it each day with part of the practice on offense and part on defense?
    3. How do you work in your kicking game.

Thanks
    We do all three everyday, but only Indy once a day, either off or def.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Default Practice

Monday is Kicking Game, Individual (both sides) and a quick Team period (both sides) to "Intro" the game plan.
    Tuesday is "Big O" day. Kicking game; Off. Group work; Def. Team period (15-20 min) and "long" Team O period.
    Wed., we flip it: "Big D" day. Kick; Def Group: Off Team (blitz drill; down and distance/passing sitn's) and long Team D period plus Goal line.
    Thursday: we "play a game." We run through a "mock up" game following the flow of the game from opening kick-off to team O to Punt to team D to punt return back to team O (score!) PAT, kick off... etc! It really moves and forces the players to stay on their toes.
    IN Christ,
    Lew

What we do at my current school (school of 1400, around 65 on varsity)

Monday- Film, Lifting/Running, Special Teams (All- minimum of 30 minutes), Team Offense (45 minutes minimum) Team Defense (minimum),

Tuesday- Special Teams (All- 30-40 minutes total), Individual Offense, Group Offense, Team Offense, Team Turnover Circuit, Team Defense, Conditioning

Wednesday- Special Teams (All- 30-40 minutes total), Team Tackling Circuit, Individual Defense/Indy Offense for O-Line, Group Defense, Group 1 on 1's (1st O-Line vs 1st D-Line, 7 on 7), Team Defense, Conditioning, Team Dinner

Thursday- Film, Lifting, Special Teams (All 30 minutes minimum), Group Offense, Team Offense / Team Defense (we try to 2 platoon as much as possible), go watch Freshmen game

-We take our special teams pretty serious. We weren't as good at special teams as we would have liked last year, mostly because we had ALOT of injuries so we tried to play some younger kids who were working hard but not-quite-ready on specials... We spend at minimum of a half hour on special teams every day. Each unit is worked on every day even if it is for 5 minutes. We also have devoted more time to a special teams scouting report this season and are in the process of breaking down all special teams plays from every game (in addition to our normal end of year breakdown on offense and defense) to really get a head start.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    now if you are at a smaller school... at my previous stop (we had 25-35 kids in the program 9-12), numbers were an issue. We practiced Offense, defense, and special teams every day. A sample schedule would look like this

Tuesday example/ full pads
    10m- Kickoff
    10m- Kick return
    15m- Indy Offense
    15 m- Group Offense
    20m- Team Offense (mix in FG/PAT)
    10m- Punt or Punt Return
    15m- Indy Defense
    15 m- Group Defense
    20m- Team Defense
    10m- Conditioning

The above schedule is fast paced and organized at a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes. As a position coach I never felt like I had enough time but I know the kids like the fast pace and not-marathon practices

Thread Information