Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: No Huddle - Wing T

  1. Default No Huddle - Wing T

    The last couple years, we used a No Huddle system and in both years we did play for state title, but came out on short end. We use a wrist band and columns are colored coded (gold column is Buck Sweep Run Plays) with up to 10 plays on each column. 3 windows on wrist band = we have 3 columns on each window.

    It works great in a game, but the problem is in practice where the player on the defense might be your back up HB and knows if we call Gold 1 that it is 21 Buck Sweep. Really tough when you are running 2 minute offense.

    We do use other code names for gold, but still we have a hard time where just the offense knows the play. We want to get in as many plays as we can (big reason for no huddle) - so looking for any ideas. We have tried calling out 3 different colors with a hot color or 3 numbers where maybe the middle number is hot.

    Any ideas will be much appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger71
    The last couple years, we used a No Huddle system and in both years we did play for state title, but came out on short end. We use a wrist band and columns are colored coded (gold column is Buck Sweep Run Plays) with up to 10 plays on each column. 3 windows on wrist band = we have 3 columns on each window.

    It works great in a game, but the problem is in practice where the player on the defense might be your back up HB and knows if we call Gold 1 that it is 21 Buck Sweep. Really tough when you are running 2 minute offense.

    We do use other code names for gold, but still we have a hard time where just the offense knows the play. We want to get in as many plays as we can (big reason for no huddle) - so looking for any ideas. We have tried calling out 3 different colors with a hot color or 3 numbers where maybe the middle number is hot.

    Any ideas will be much appreciated.
    Coach, this is something that I've always worried about but we've not seen it be an issue during our practice

    That said, I know I've heard Dave McDonald (who is awesome with his no huddle stuff by the way) say that they try and have their scout team being shown the card while the call is being echoed so they can't really hear the offensive call because they are focused on something else. Even if you just have something where you shout out the opposing defense to the scout kids that should help a little bit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Roger71, I think I understand your situation. At my school, our offense is ALL no huddle. We don't even have a signal/call for a huddle. :-) It is actually kinda funny. Anyway, when we do inside run period (for example), I often tell myself that they know where it is going. On the one hand, they know. On the other hand, they have to stop it.

    I understand how your backup HB (or whoever) knows the play, but does the whole defense? Do they even suspect that you might be trying some shenanigans? Once the ball is snapped, they still have to defend it. Similarly, when your defensive coaches watch film on a given opponent, you find that in situation X, they will run "this play." Hell, the parents in the stands know it. Can your guys defend it?

    I am just trying to say that when we go with tempo (and we DO go with tempo) it still a big challenge for our defense to stop us on inside run, and we are signaling from right behind the offense, twelve feet from the defenders.

    If you are making it to the title game, then you know your stuff. My opinion is that this situation is making you better, not costing you. Having said that, I wish I had a better/more helpful answer to the specific question that you asked.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Coach,

    I agree with Trojan. I 'm not sure I would change anything. You got it nailed. with that, we go very similar to what your suggesting. We got our idea for no huddle from the youth coach Dave Cisar. Three Colors (Black, Yellow, Red) and three numbers (pick which number is hot). I am not a rocket scientist, so had to make it easy for me not the kids.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coachwoods
    Coach,

    I agree with Trojan. I 'm not sure I would change anything. You got it nailed. with that, we go very similar to what your suggesting. We got our idea for no huddle from the youth coach Dave Cisar. Three Colors (Black, Yellow, Red) and three numbers (pick which number is hot). I am not a rocket scientist, so had to make it easy for me not the kids.
    How do you indicate which number you are using as the Hot # for the kids?

  6. Default No Huddle

    Thanks for the posts.

    Like if we are going to do a 2 minute drill - I would let the QB tell them at the start that like the 2nd number (hot) is the play. He could yell out "Gold 9" "Black 1" so they quickly look at Black Column and go to 1 which would be a quick slant pass. If it is not a 2 minute drill we might use 3 numbers and one would be live. I realize there becomes a point where you could be over coaching the situation. KISS

  7. Default No Huddle

    One of the above posts had a good idea which we will try which is to have the scout team defense get the signal at the same time. I think what we will do is put coach in charge maybe 15 yards deep where they have to turn to get the call and at same time the offense turns to our coach to get the call.

    One thing we added last year was that we have wrist bands (different color) for the scout defense. We take their main looks (3-4) and diagram them and then shrink them down and have them on the wrist band - each with a number. So scout coach just yells a number (or flashes a card with the number) and yells a coverage.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb
    How do you indicate which number you are using as the Hot # for the kids?
    Coach Schelb,

    We would say 3rd number is hot. Call would be something like,"Black 523" Call would be, "Black 3"
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

  9. #9

    Default

    If you ever change up the hot number how would you communicate it to the kids? Would you just say we're going with the second number this series?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Yes we would normally go one for the first half and one for the second half. kids caught on really quick.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •