Thread: Defending the Wing-T

Default Defending the Wing-T

Joe Daniel (@footballinfo on Twitter) put on a free webinar last night. Defending the Wing-T with the 4-2-5. I listened/watched the presentation. He seemed to have a pretty good handle on our offense, and his ideas got me thinking.

My question: Is the Wing-T harder to prepare for than other offenses?

I know that it is tough for defenses that see a ton of spread and few Wing-T teams, but would it still be tough for a team that saw six Wing-T teams and only one spread team?

As I listened to Coach Daniel's webinar I wondered how many DCs have as good a handle on what we are trying to do. (Few would admit that they don't understand...)

I'm just curious about your thoughts.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

It is very easy for a defensive coach to draw up how to stop a Wing-T.

Can he get his scout team to run it with half the efficiency of the team he will face on Friday?

Do his kids know how to stop it (it's not just what the coach knows).

What happens when you run a key breaker play and a player doubts what his coach taught him?

He might know how to stop 100/900? Does the D adjust to Red/blue, end over, etc...

And don't forget the Wing-T puts the D in conflict. The DE can't close to wrong arm the down play and fight the down błock of a wing on Bucksweep at the same time. Read their reactions and use their over aggressiveness to stop one play against them. If the force man on the TE/Wing side is over aggressive stopping the run, throw a play action pass at him.

Why start questioning a proven offense that has won for 50+ years?

I think Joe Daniel is a well versed coach. He definitely does his homework. With that said, The Wing T is extremely hard to prepare for. The formations, motions, backfield actions, play-action passing, and that is just the base plays. Add option or jet/rocket and that is just one more series that DC has to think about.

Repeating the above from another prospective, Every Wing T team is not the same in that each team favors the plays from the system that fit our players for the year. One Wing T team may favor Power and Down, and another may favor Jet and Option.

I agree with Scoultis, Everything we do keeps the defense in conflict, thats beauty of the Wing T.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

One sentence.... Put the defense in conflict. Enough said.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

You know, I don't much about other offenses. I'm at a spread school now, and the OC & HC certainly try to take advantage of how the defense is reacting. Still, it doesn't feel the same as how the series in the Wing-T "set up" the defense. It just feels more systematic with the Wing-T offense.

I agree with all the points that have been made. As I said, however, I am not that familiar with how other offenses game plan. Honestly, I feel like there is more of a real plan with Wing-T coaches, but I'm biased.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Bellevue

7. Default

My favorite line from DC and Def gurus the last 5 years we have run wing t is how similar we are to a double wing team in our area LOL and that just key the guards they will take you guys to the ball. Then we run power and some sally action and you hear the arguing begin.

Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachMurphy
    My favorite line from DC and Def gurus the last 5 years we have run wing t is how similar we are to a double wing team in our area LOL and that just key the guards they will take you guys to the ball. Then we run power and some sally action and you hear the arguing begin.

Good times!
    There are answers for that. We have a few plays where we can pull the guards away from the play. I like what we call 335/336 Influence the best. It's Power with both guards pulling away. On the playside, you still have a down block with the OT and TE, a seal by the WB, and a kickout by the FB. Great keybreaker.

Thread Information