Thread: Formations

Default Formations

Just curious.
    1.How many formations do you install in pre-season ?
    2.How many do you actually use in game planning prpearation?
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

We install all of our formations in the off-season. We will go into a game with any formations that give us an advantage or dictate on how the defense will line up

Here is what we currently have in (all installed in our 4 day camp in June):

Base Formations
    Red/Blue
    Loose
    Twins Gun

Formation Tags
    Plus/Minus (off-set FB)
    R/L (Creates a 2 Back set - Trad 1/900)
    Split (brings WR in tight)
    Right/Left (moves SE Over)

We'll probably do a few more things with some Strong/Weak Backfield sets, as well as a Trips formation along with all of that. We'll also add in some trades/jumps as well.

As far as the gameplanning process, that's something I'm trying to get better at doing. We are a Rocket team so using formations is paramount for us and I'm trying to figure out a better way of a gameplanning all of the different formations without driving myself crazy of drawing the anticipated D alignment to them.

What I've thought about doing is to draw up alignments to "Edges" (TE/WB, SE/DB, etc) and then think about plugging those into formations. Right now its just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Sadloch
    Just curious.
    1.How many formations do you install in pre-season ?
    ALL OF THEM WHICH IS 112.

2.How many do you actually use in game planning prpearation?
    -DOUBLE TE FORMATIONS
    -EMPTY FORMATIONS
    -UNBALANCED FORMATIONS
    -BASE FORMATIONS
    SHIFTS INTO THE ABOVE.

Our base approach is going to exhaust all of the possibilities of the above to see to what advantage this might present to us in order to run the plays we want. This is drawn up verses what we think they may align and then We check our plays based on red/white/blue and therefore it does not matter what formation only rather what does it present to us in terms of RED/WHITE. What I have discovered is using all of the above presents the biggest problems for the defense.
    Next:
    We will also bring into a game a handful of looks based on situations we will see. Those are your typical situations in terms of down and distance, field location or just simply overwhelming numbers etc..
    Lastly:
    How you huddle or for that matter hurry up tempo is another key to it all as well.
    Good luck
    Coach Wright

Quote Originally Posted by JWright
    -DOUBLE TE FORMATIONS
    -EMPTY FORMATIONS
    -UNBALANCED FORMATIONS
    -BASE FORMATIONS
    SHIFTS INTO THE ABOVE.

Our base approach is going to exhaust all of the possibilities of the above to see to what advantage this might present to us in order to run the plays we want. This is drawn up verses what we think they may align and then We check our plays based on red/white/blue and therefore it does not matter what formation only rather what does it present to us in terms of RED/WHITE. What I have discovered is using all of the above presents the biggest problems for the defense.
    Jim, when you start talking about exhausting possibilities of those above formations you mean doing things like Off-Setting the FB, Going 2 Back sets, Compressed WR's, Bearcat/Bulldog etc?

Thread Information