Thread: Attacking a 3-5

Default Attacking a 3-5

I have my own ideas but am looking outside the box.
    How do you attack an aggressive 3-5 Defense that plays a ton of Man and Press
    Coverage? Your ideas are appreciated!
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Would be easier to help you if I knew what plays you run but I think you need to overload the flanks, putting the SE over on the TE Wing side using the traditional Rt Red/Lt Blue along with CMU's Ends formation & attack the perimeter. If they put too many players over there you can offset the FB & run back to the weak flank. If they get out of the stacks, you can now run inside but not until then. I would also motion or line up with both HBs on the same side to the SE side with one being a dive back to be able to throw ball without showing motion in order to help in the front side protection or use extra HB as a receiver to flood the front side. You can also run to the perimeter with this alignment too

Quote Originally Posted by jsanny
    Would be easier to help you if I knew what plays you run but I think you need to overload the flanks, putting the SE over on the TE Wing side using the traditional Rt Red/Lt Blue along with CMU's Ends formation & attack the perimeter. If they put too many players over there you can offset the FB & run back to the weak flank. If they get out of the stacks, you can now run inside but not until then. I would also motion or line up with both HBs on the same side to the SE side with one being a dive back to be able to throw ball without showing motion in order to help in the front side protection or use extra HB as a receiver to flood the front side. You can also run to the perimeter with this alignment too
    I agree about the unbalanced looks. Your thinking is very similar to what we are planning to do thanks for your input.
    Ed Sadloch
    Head Football Coach
    Cedar Grove (NJ) H.S.

Coach Sadloch, one of the top teams in our league has played a 3-3 the last few years and we've always had alot of success going with SE Over for Down & Rocket & Buck Sweep and using 2 SE Over formations for Rocket.

We usually had lineman assigned to block the stacks. We had success with our Belly Slide with the PST always blocking the DT, PSG & OC assigned to the middle stack, BSG & BST assigned to the backside stack and slide back assigned to the PSLB. This would account for all the gap blitzes and quite often the Belly would bounce outside for big plays.

We would do the same with our pass attack by locking the PST onto the DT and our FB would have a double read from the stacked backer to the Spur. Most of the time we would be in a trips look which made it difficult to bring the outside stack and the Spur. I liked trips looks because many times they would slide backers so now we were blocking a 3-4 and that's not what they wanted to be in.

I also liked our tackles over formation because this forced them to adjust with the secondary if they did not want to break the stacks. This put a Spur on the LOS to our strong side which helped the down block on Buck Sweep and gave us an advantage on Down since my PSG was kicking out the Spur who usually was a DB type of kid. If they did not want to put both Spurs on the same side vs. unbalanced or trips they would usually roll to a Cover 2 look which again is not what they want to be in. If they did put both spurs to the long side of unbalanced we would offset the FB and run Jet or my QB Sweep back to the nub and we would have them outnumbered. We would always have the ability in certain formations to check the Jet based on numbers.

Feel free to email me directly Ed or call if you want to discuss this more. I'm a member of the local booster club here in FL and the team is running some Jet from the Gun. My wife and I go to all the games and it's fun. The coach has my playbook and is dabbling running some Down and Jet.

Rich Erdelyi
    coacherdelyi@gmail.com
    412-527-7376

Coach Sadloch,

One of the things we did on our QB Belly (used Coach Erdeyli's Twins Gun set) that our OL did with some success was to double the NG with the Center and PSG and wrap the BSG up to the MLB. Let us solidify A/B gap area with the NG with a double and still get the Mike handled as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Erdelyi
    We usually had lineman assigned to block the stacks. We had success with our Belly Slide with the PST always blocking the DT, PSG & OC assigned to the middle stack, BSG & BST assigned to the backside stack and slide back assigned to the PSLB. This would account for all the gap blitzes and quite often the Belly would bounce outside for big plays.

We would do the same with our pass attack by locking the PST onto the DT and our FB would have a double read from the stacked backer to the Spur. Most of the time we would be in a trips look which made it difficult to bring the outside stack and the Spur. I liked trips looks because many times they would slide backers so now we were blocking a 3-4 and that's not what they wanted to be in.

I also liked our tackles over formation because this forced them to adjust with the secondary if they did not want to break the stacks. This put a Spur on the LOS to our strong side which helped the down block on Buck Sweep and gave us an advantage on Down since my PSG was kicking out the Spur who usually was a DB type of kid. If they did not want to put both Spurs on the same side vs. unbalanced or trips they would usually roll to a Cover 2 look which again is not what they want to be in. If they did put both spurs to the long side of unbalanced we would offset the FB and run Jet or my QB Sweep back to the nub and we would have them outnumbered. We would always have the ability in certain formations to check the Jet based on numbers.

Feel free to email me directly Ed or call if you want to discuss this more. I'm a member of the local booster club here in FL and the team is running some Jet from the Gun. My wife and I go to all the games and it's fun. The coach has my playbook and is dabbling running some Down and Jet.

Rich Erdelyi
    coacherdelyi@gmail.com
    412-527-7376
    Coach Erd gave me a great idea a few weeks ago vs. the 3-5 stack. We ran Belly Bounce to the SE side along with QB keep, which way the same as Belly Bounce but the QB kept the ball.

Thread Information