Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you run Rocket/Jet

Default How much do you run Rocket/Jet

We run Jet Sweep and Rocket Sweep, and we block it well. Not great, but well. Much more often, we run other plays with Jet or Rocket motion. If we run Jet/Rocket about five times a game (total for both sweeps combined), are we short-changing ourselves, or is that enough to help make the complimentary plays go well? I feel like we should be calling these sweeps twice as often, and then they would help our complimentary plays even more.

Opinions invited. Thank you.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

What kind of production are you getting from jet/rocket? How much do you run counter off of the motion?

Coach,

Jet is our signature play! Looking at our stat's from the last six years we rushed for over 6,000 yards. In my opinion, the Jet creates a defensive paranoia. This thought process allows us to run our counter series, which takes advantage of defensive moment. If the defense doesn't stop the Jet, that's all they'll see.

33Belly, when either play goes badly, we get 4-5 yards. When it has gone well, we get around 10. Yes, we run WB CTR and TT off of these motions.

Coacho, what percentage of your runs are Jet Sweeps?

Thanks
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Coach,

Last night we had 380 yards in offense. The Jet accounted for 167 yards on 13 carries. Our opponent had trouble all night with the Jet. As they pressed to stop the Jet, we took advantage of the defensive momentum and over runs with the Jet Power. The Jet accounted for a 1/3 of our plays last night.

I am a huge fan of rocket and jet simply because it forces the defense laterally. Anytime you can threaten the flank with the level of efficiency that you mentioned, it will be great for belly and trap underneath it. I would run it 4 or 5 times a game to each side if you are getting that kind of production. From a strategic perspective, rocket and jet are the same for us. We simply run rocket under center and jet from the gun.

We have gotten away from running counter and it is hurting us because now the backside defenders are closing down on the complementary belly and trap under rocket motion. This week we have set the goal of running counter at least 4-6 times. We might even run rocket reverse this week.
    Last edited by 33Belly; 10-31-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Helpful answers, coaches! I appreciate your responses.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

We run Rocket/Jet approx. 10 to 15x per game. We try to do it a lot early to get the defense running. After a loss, my first offensive thought is usually...we didn't run enough rocket.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by james
    We run Rocket/Jet approx. 10 to 15x per game. We try to do it a lot early to get the defense running. After a loss, my first offensive thought is usually...we didn't run enough rocket.
    My question to everyone is why both jet and rocket? What does jet offer that rocket does not?

Also, if teams are very physical with their force defender and blow up your play side WB, what options do you have to keep rocket alive? We ran into a team this year that destroyed our rocket when it was averaging over 150 a game for us in the previous seven games. Once they took rocket away we really struggled.

Someone once said that if rocket is not working then jet will. Is this true from your experience?

I really prefer Rocket since the ball is so wide at the snap, and the RB has a better chance (in my opinion) to make a cut with that depth. This year, being the guy who is about three or more rungs down the play-calling ladder, Jet was called more. So be it. ;-) It has been good to us.

To answer one of your questions, I like Jet for the games in bad weather. The pitch that makes Rocket so sweet makes it more risky when it is wet, windy, etc.

To answer another question, playing with your formations can change the alignment of that force defender (as I'm sure you know). We alter our alignment, try to mess with the defenders, and then just cut up and get fewer yards if it looks like things will go badly. Of course, sometimes we just get blown up, but...
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Thread Information