Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-a-days with time restrictions

Smile 2-a-days with time restrictions

Coaches
    How are you? I just recently became Head Coach at a high school near my hometown for the first time in my career. After 9 years as an assistant, I am looking forward to this new journey. Anyway my question is this, in Michigan there is time restrictions on 2-a-days including:

-total practice time in one day cannot exceed 5 hours
    -no single practice session may last more than 3 hours
    - Warm-up, stretching, speed and agility drills and cool down are all considered part of practice. Neither strength/weight training activities nor video/classroom sessions are considered practice for the purposes of the three- or five-hour limits.
    - must have 1 hour break
    - both practices cannot be fully padded.

Coming from Ohio where there was no restrictions like this, I am still getting use to the rules as far as planning. It probably won't be that big of an adjustment its just new to me. Does anyone out there, particulary Wing-T coaches have time restrictions like this? If so how do you organize your practices? I would love to see a copy of your schedules and I could send you a rough draft of what I am thinking. Anyway I hope you all have a Merry Christmas

thanks
    Kyle
    Last edited by kylem56; 12-24-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Very similar if not exactly what we have been doing in Texas for 2 or 3 years. We hit it early in the morning, for 3 hours. They stretch on their own but we do warm up with conditioning circuits for 20 minutes while in shorts, no we have had no injuries from not stretching. We then do 2 hours and 40 minutes of practice. Followed by a break of 20 minutes then a 40 minute weight session. Shower and chalk talk. Done for the day. Gone by noon. It's been a blessing really, but we do hurry.

After observing our varsity practice one year, I told myself if I ever became a head coach again my practice would start at 7 am and be finished by noon. We have restrictions in Pa. but everyone worked and figured it out.

Sounds like the restrictions are pretty reasonable to me. A combined five hours on the field each day (with weight room, chalk talk and meetings seperate) with one practice in full pads and one in shorts or shells. I wouldn't want to do more than that even if I could.

But if you are concerned about not getting everything in with that amount of time, then the solution is time efficiency. Take the time to organize a practice schedule that wastes as little time as possible. Post the schedule on a bulletin board so that the players know what to expect as you move through practice. Do as much teaching as you can on the board and in meetings so that time on the field is spent getting reps.

That's all common sense stuff, but it's what I suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by coacho
    After observing our varsity practice one year, I told myself if I ever became a head coach again my practice would start at 7 am and be finished by noon. We have restrictions in Pa. but everyone worked and figured it out.
    I have done 7:30 to noon for a dozen years. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by silkyice
    I have done 7:30 to noon for a dozen years. Love it.
    Coach, how do you organize your Doubles Practices going 7:30 to noon?

For us I don't know that it would be too much of a change from how we currently do things, aside from the fact that both practices can't be fully padded.

The way we do things now we go:

7-9: Practice #1
    10-11: Break
    10-12: Practice #2
    *Film/Lift for 30m after practice #2.

I'd think you could either just lengthen the padded practice a little or just alternate which day was getting the full pad work?

Week two we adopt a little bit more of a college setting by following a double with a single practice. We bring them in around 8 and do some lifting/running and a single 2hr30m practice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb
    Coach, how do you organize your Doubles Practices going 7:30 to noon?
    Roughly:
    7:30-9 conditioining and special teams
    9:00-9:40 break inside with AC and drinks, fruit, crackers, etc. kids can take a shower if they want. Put on dry clothes and dry socks if they want.
    9:40-12 practice

On weight lift days,
    7:30-8 lift
    8-9 condition and special teams
    9 break
    9:40 practice

We also sometimes use some of the break time to meet, vote for captains, etc.

One of the huge benefits of just morning is the kids recover better. They have all afternoon and night to rehydrate and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by silkyice
    Roughly:
    7:30-9 conditioining and special teams
    9:00-9:40 break inside with AC and drinks, fruit, crackers, etc. kids can take a shower if they want. Put on dry clothes and dry socks if they want.
    9:40-12 practice

On weight lift days,
    7:30-8 lift
    8-9 condition and special teams
    9 break
    9:40 practice

We also sometimes use some of the break time to meet, vote for captains, etc.

One of the huge benefits of just morning is the kids recover better. They have all afternoon and night to rehydrate and eat.
    How do you break down the 9:40-12:00 practice with both Defense and Offense?

10. Default

Kyle

Its not too bad...Its not hitting until Friday that changed things for me in regards to what we could do on Saturday...PM me I will shoot you some ideas...

One being...do the majority of your SPTs and 7 on 7 work in your non contact period...early in the season specials are a labor of love (even with summer install)...so we revised to do more of SPTs when we had to do less...

Thread Information