Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Hybrid Wing Clinic

Default 2015 Hybrid Wing Clinic

Coaches
    I originally decided not to have my clinic ithis year, but I received quite a bit of response from coaches both through email and at the national wing t clinic to have it. In addition, the LEGENDARY coach GLEN MCNEW will be speaking at it as well. We are going to condense it into one day and here is a basic format for what we are going to do:
    FRIDAY EVENING: Coaches Social to ???
    SATURDAY: 9am to 6pm clinic.
    One day rather than two days. 9 hours of defense from Glen and our hybrid wing offense as well as Mahlzahn Gun offense I used. We will talk about:
    "FORMATIONAL DESIGNATION" that the gun provides, the rules to follow when PLAYCALLING the gun offense and like always it will be all inclusive with how to do everything and we will even feed you the entire clinic as well. If you have interest you can email me at:
    pbcoachwright@gmail.com and I will send you all of the details. Let me know. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Coach Wright

When is the date?

Coaches
    April 24th and 25th is our clinic date.
    Pine Bush NY (75 miles north of NYC)
    Just want make sure I emailed all of those who responded. If you did not get a response back from me, please let me know ASAP. This clinic is happening because we have had entire coaching staffs request time with us about the offense and defense. These staffs are allowing us to open this to other coaches and staffs who would like to attend. So far we have staffs from:
    New York, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio and Connecticut.

We are going to cover all of the following and more:
    Practice Plans and Drill progressions we use for all positions

Group Drills we use that we have found maximizes the wing offense.

X and O's.

What plays to call and when to call them

Defensive Responses and how we answer them and more importantly how we anticipate them.

Finally Glen suggested I should cover what we did with the Gun. If that is what people are looking for as well then I will discuss the gun and the "Formational Designation" that it provides that under center can not. The "Play Integrity" checklist I use when Game planning with it as well.

Please let me know ASAP if you and your staff would like to attend.
    Coach Wright

Coaches
    FYI:
    One of the biggest complaints of coaches about clinics is having to share the speaker with a hundred coaches and either one of the coaches hijacks the clinic with constant questions or you never get to the real "meat and potatoes" of the talk. This clinic is small and thus allows for you to get what you want:
    EVERYTHING!!!
    We answer all questions and then some. 6pm were done but we stay until everyone is happy and has their answers.
    Spoke to Glen yesterday and we decided that the cost for the clinic is going to be:
    $30 (this is for three all u can eat meals)+ donation.
    You do not want to give to our expenses then you do not have to. If you do then please do. In other words you decide whether or not the clinic was worth your time or not. Did we answer all of questions? Did we give you everything you needed to run this offense or the 425 defense? If not then you do not donate. If so then you decide what it is worth. We have now added coaches from:
    Kentucky and Pennsylvania to our list.
    Look forward to meeting you all.
    Coach Wright

FINAL NOTE:
    Some coaches wanted to know our qualifications:
    Coach Wright
    3x Empire football league champion
    2x Coach of the year
    1x NYS regional finalist
    NCAA FCS football Defensive Coordinator for the Winning south all star team
    NCAA Div II vs. NAIA Defensive Coordinator for the Winning all star team
    Took over a high school football program that did not have a winning season in 12 years and a championship in 17years and have had four winning seasons and a one Sectional Championship. We started with 28 kids to our roster and now we have to cut down to 48. We went from not even being ranked in NYS to as high as #2 in the largest classification and my staff and I were able to do this in less than 10 years.
    Allsports school presenter

Wings and things presenter

Glen MCNEW
    2x state champion
    1x State runner-up
    A ton of conference championships
    Hall of fame coach at Morgantown High School WV
    Started the running the 353 in 1993 and as far as he knows he was the first to do it.
    He has had a team in the top 50 national rankings as well
    List goes on and on.
    All sports school speaker

Wings and things speaker

Glazier Speaker

National Wing-T speaker
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by JWright; 03-04-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Default Hybrid Wing T

I would like to bring my staff up can I get contact info as I'd prefer to speak to someone as were coming from central Connecticut .

Coach
    I PM you with contact info. Let me know if you did not get it.
    Coach Wright

Coaches
    Glen is going to discuss his entire defense. He calls it the 31 defense. It is a 425 defense which has many great qualities, but one of the best qualities is being able to morph it into a 353 defense with:
    NO NEW LEARNING
    NO NEW COACHING
    he is going to show you how you get two defenses for the price of one.
    I have been coaching over 23 years and never heard anyone talk defense better than Glen. His talk on defensive back play alone is worth your time. The amount detail he gives about playing defensive line and linebacker is incredible and the best part he gives you
    EVERYTHING.
    This is the same defense I used to win two NCAA all star games. Shutting down offenses in All star games is unheard of. No stunting....No Blitzing....can only run basic coverages. Despite all that we were able to stop offenses with the basic aspects of his defense. After the games OC (college coordinators) would come up to me and tell me they could not figure out what we were doing on defense and wanted to know what it was. I never told them.
    Hope to see you all there,
    Coach Wright

Coaches
    Here is my tentative itinerary for the day:
    First thing is going to be OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY.
    RUN GAME PROGRESSION
    PASS GAME PROGRESSION
    Both of these are a systematic approach to training the offensive lineman in this offense and it has led to 3 Allstate players, four division 1 linemen in college currently and many all county and all sectional players. It eliminates all of the unnecessary drills and leaves you with the most important ones that require minimum time to complete.

Red-white and Blue game planning.
    This is the entire philosophy of how to run this offense and is so simple that you no longer need to call the offense your QB will be able to do it by himself. We have QB's in the past who called most of the plays for the game with this system. his has led to 7 seasons with over 3000yds rushing and two seasons over 4000 yds rushing in just 9 games.

How to hide your intentions from the defense
    This is an eye opener for most coaches on how I show the multiple ways we can hide our offense from the defense and understanding that WAYS NOT PLAYS is the answer.

RUN GAME
    How to adequately flank a defense and what components are necessary to effectively do that.
    A. Belly sweep
    One game we had a wing rush for over 300yds on this play alone.
    B. Rocket
    Coaches from all over the country come to our clinic or have me come to them just because they want to run this play the same way we do. I have often run this play as the only play used in a game. My personal record for the number of rockets in a row is 27!!!
    C. Navy
    This is our counter option play. Great flank play away from motion. When defenses try to stop your flank plays by over playing the motion we kill them with NAVY.

How and when to dominate the B gap
    Here we cover when you want to stop flanking defenses and now dominate the B gap.
    A. ICE
    Our philosophy on running this play is a little bit different than some others thinking and I get into some detail as to not just how we do it, but more importantly tell you why we do it and how we progress to this thinking because of the mistakes and things I realize after running this play for more 24 years.
    B. SALLY
    show you how we eliminate those things that make SALLY a difficult play to execute and takes it from a hit or miss play to one that is consistent and the best part I will teach our best variation off of it:
    SALLY OPTION.
    C. BAMA
    This is our first option run and you will learn all of the ins and outs of how option CAN BE done along with Wing scheme and we will cover all of the secrets I learned from NAVAL AND MILITARY ACADEMIES as well eliminating all of the unnecessary stuff and giving the minimum requirements to make option go.
    D. MIAMI
    This is our midline play. One of the best and easiest option plays in this offense.
    E. TIDE
    Outside veer play that no new teaching our practice reps. You get this play for free with no practice time dedicated to it. I will show you how you get all the benefits of this play by simply running the other two options.

SHOTGUN WING:
    Formational designation
    This is something that I have been working on for three years now and it changed how I run this offense now.
    RPO
    How we Run Pass Option off of this offense.

SPREAD TO and SPREAD AWAY philosophy
    I will explain how it all works and how it fits into the formational designation aspect.

We will complete the clinic with practicing this offense and go over how we install this entire offense in one practice.
    Look forward to meeting you all and talk some football. Need to have your numbers so I can get the food count down. Most of you have already let me know those numbers. If your coming at the door, we will not be able to feed you. So please let me know before hand at pbcoachwright@gmail.com
    Coach Wright

Default It's worth it!

I cannot say enough good things about what information our staff got from Jim and Glen's clinic. Great philosophy, down to Earth coaches, great community, well worth it all. Most of all, Jim's view of offense works. We had some great success after we implemented some of his ideas into our offense. The trip to NY is well worth it.

Default Hartford Hurricanes

Myself and staff will be making trip up from CT can't wait for day to get here and get another chance to clinic with yourself and Coach McNew as this will be second time i get the opportunity to sit in on lectures with Coach McNew. I will call or email final number Coach. Were grateful for chance to attend clinic.

Thread Information