Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waggle Solid Coaching Points

Default Waggle Solid Coaching Points

We have never been a Waggle Solid team with the QB setting up int he pocket. I would love to hear some coaching points on Waggle Solid protection and then maybe pass concepts.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

We just put in Waggle Solid this past season after hearing Jeff Herron speak on it at the National Wing T clinic in 2014. Really was a nice homerun play for us this year.

It was something we threw about 1x a game and ended up getting 3 TD's on it during the course of the year. It was a fairly cheap add for us that gave us a some big plays.

Protection wise we used the exact same rules as Waggle but we just had the PSG kick out if he had to pull and the BSG started to settle once he got past the Center. As we got going we ended up having the FB stay in the protection, since we were taking a shot with this.

For the routes we used the exact same routes as what traditional Waggle but now had the QB set up in B gap and read the route: #1 HB's Post to #2 TE's Sit. Every throw went to the HB's Post.

One of the issues we did run into with Solid was that the HB's post route drifting too far over and running himself into safety coverage. Just from a year of running it I think its probably alot better if he keeps it skinny to make sure he stays clear of any reaction the db's have to traditional Waggle .

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    We just put in Waggle Solid this past season after hearing Jeff Herron speak on it at the National Wing T clinic in 2014. Really was a nice homerun play for us this year.

It was something we threw about 1x a game and ended up getting 3 TD's on it during the course of the year. It was a fairly cheap add for us that gave us a some big plays.

Protection wise we used the exact same rules as Waggle but we just had the PSG kick out if he had to pull and the BSG started to settle once he got past the Center. As we got going we ended up having the FB stay in the protection, since we were taking a shot with this.

For the routes we used the exact same routes as what traditional Waggle but now had the QB set up in B gap and read the route: #1 HB's Post to #2 TE's Sit. Every throw went to the HB's Post.

One of the issues we did run into with Solid was that the HB's post route drifting too far over and running himself into safety coverage. Just from a year of running it I think its probably alot better if he keeps it skinny to make sure he stays clear of any reaction the db's have to traditional Waggle .
    I too, am interested in this topic. I was thinking that you could run BOB protection and put the FB through B gap and have him exit into the flats with the SE to play side running a post-corner route, back side TE or SE runs a post and the back side WB runs a drag. We run a hybrid system where we run rocket instead of bucksweep so I am interested in running waggle solid. My thought was reading high to low.

With Solid, the FB is part of the protection. The QB is instructed to pull up & look middle to back side. If you are looking to have the FB in a route, I would suggest looking at the Waggle Cruise that Mickey Kwaitkowski used to run at Brown & Mike McGlinchey used to run at C.C.S.U. & Frostburg State.

I like Waggle Solid as a read route. Versus 2 high: run 3 verticals, the QB reads the backside Saf.
    Versus 1 high: the rec's run normal Waggle routes, QB reads frontside End to the backside combination (Drag & Post).

After faking Buck Sweep, the QB sets-up behind the inside leg of the FST.

Protection wise, in most cases we pull only the FSG (he blocks out on the DE) and the Fullback fills the area that the FSG vacated (or B-gap vs a 3 tech.). The BSG steps and cups, much like you would do on regular Waggle protection versus an Eagle Front the covers both the C and the BSG.

Versus a 1 tech. in the frontside A-gap, some people will keep the FSG home, Center blocks back, and pull their BSG to block out on the frontside DE.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jsanny View Post
    With Solid, the FB is part of the protection. The QB is instructed to pull up & look middle to back side. If you are looking to have the FB in a route, I would suggest looking at the Waggle Cruise that Mickey Kwaitkowski used to run at Brown & Mike McGlinchey used to run at C.C.S.U. & Frostburg State.
    Can you explain waggle cruise in more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by jsanny View Post
    Nice Wing-T coaches reference in Kwaitkowski and McGlinchey. Don't forget Mickey started it at Hofstra and McGlinchey at Salisbury.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

[QUOTE=CoachSturm;19465]Can you explain waggle cruise in more detail?[/QUOT

It's been over 20 years since I've heard Mike & Mickey talk about it & my notes are packed away in storage. Maybe someone on this web site can dig something up for you. I tried quickly to search the internet for you but I couldn't find anything. If you cant find anything out, get back to me in a week or so & I will dig out my notes for you but hopefully you can find out something sooner.

I remember a Keep Pass Cruise I will look too.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Waggle Cruise...I had never heard of it. Would like to learn more!!

Thread Information