Thread: Best Counter

Default Best Counter

Looking at running counter away from te, but dont want the te to pull at all any suggestions? We would be in 100/900 and wanna run counter to away from te.. Thanks

Run Ct XX with tackle & guard pulling.

Coach,

I know you don't want to pull the TE. But, what about Counter XX, and just pull the uncovered linemen. Sometimes its G/T, sometimes G/TE, rarely, T/TE. In my humble opinion this is an easy option to ensure backside penetration is taken care of by the covered linemen and the fullback.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

Default Counter

I've seen it done 2 ways... but the blocking is "counter trey"--- like the old Redskins play. The back-side Guard and Tackle are always the pullers. This is not XX cuz there's only 1 handoff! The two backfield actions are: 1- QB full fake to either Fullback on Down or HB on Power; QB keeps reversing and gives the handoff "inside" to the Wing following the pullers. 2- I saw Erd' present this: the fullback takes 1-2 steps towards the TE, then crosses over and comes back to the weakside. The QB starts to full reverse like it's going to be Down; plants and gives "backside" to Fullback coming back.

I'm assuming you want a counter off Buck Sweep. We ran this play for years...got away from it...and put it back in my last year and it was good for 2 TD's. It looks like XX but the QB does all the ball handling. 100 formation...TE/wing right...2 backs in the backfield vs. 4-3.
    LT- Pass set and wheel out the 5 tech
    LG&OC double the 1 to the Sam
    RG- Base the 3.
    RT- Pull and wall off the Mike
    TE- Shutoff C gap area.
    LH- Fake Buck Sweep stay wider longer. Square cut outside of RH. He must come under you.
    FB- Right foot for left foot of OC staying on track off the butt of LG and kick out the Will
    RH- BC. Drop step to a depth of 3 yards aiming 1 yard in front of FB. Take inside HO and follow RT.
    SE- Cross field block up at hole safety your side.
    QB- Reverse pivot left foot on the mid line. Right foot straight back. Poke to LH as he fakes Buck Sweep.Turn and give to RH. Do not move your left foot! After the HO go to the waggle. You could also fake keep pass to the Buck Sweep Flank.

If there is a reduced flank...3/5 tech to the SE side. The LT&LG double the 3 to the Sam. The OC and RG block right A/B gaps. The FB kicks out the 5. If you have a 1-5-9 to the TE flank and are nervous about pulling the tackle then pull the guard. The same against a straight 50 front.

Hope this gives some food for thought. If you want the rules let me know. This is a description of techniques. You can apply your own rules.

Rich Erdelyi

We also use a TAG concept. In the past I've seen it used as an on the field call. We call in Counter or Tag to get the blocking we want. I tend to like the Tag blocking a bit better when not in a formation with a TE/Wing combination.

Quote Originally Posted by shubby View Post
    Looking at running counter away from te, but dont want the te to pull at all any suggestions? We would be in 100/900 and wanna run counter to away from te.. Thanks
    We run buck counter XX (double hand-off) using the power scheme of FB kickout on EMLOS and backside T pulling to wall off PSLB. To us the FB first two steps make it look like buck sweep and many teams follow the diveback so the play hits big.

The other way to run a counter to the SE side is to run Tackle Trap to the wing. You are only pull the tackle and only have one hand-off.

Side note: We ran TAG (counter trey) a few years ago, but always felt it was a slow developing counter and just couldn't get it to work for us. Plus we had some real big play HB's that we wanted to have the ball on our counters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Erdelyi View Post
    I'm assuming you want a counter off Buck Sweep. We ran this play for years...got away from it...and put it back in my last year and it was good for 2 TD's. It looks like XX but the QB does all the ball handling. 100 formation...TE/wing right...2 backs in the backfield vs. 4-3.
    LT- Pass set and wheel out the 5 tech
    LG&OC double the 1 to the Sam
    RG- Base the 3.
    RT- Pull and wall off the Mike
    TE- Shutoff C gap area.
    LH- Fake Buck Sweep stay wider longer. Square cut outside of RH. He must come under you.
    FB- Right foot for left foot of OC staying on track off the butt of LG and kick out the Will
    RH- BC. Drop step to a depth of 3 yards aiming 1 yard in front of FB. Take inside HO and follow RT.
    SE- Cross field block up at hole safety your side.
    QB- Reverse pivot left foot on the mid line. Right foot straight back. Poke to LH as he fakes Buck Sweep.Turn and give to RH. Do not move your left foot! After the HO go to the waggle. You could also fake keep pass to the Buck Sweep Flank.

If there is a reduced flank...3/5 tech to the SE side. The LT&LG double the 3 to the Sam. The OC and RG block right A/B gaps. The FB kicks out the 5. If you have a 1-5-9 to the TE flank and are nervous about pulling the tackle then pull the guard. The same against a straight 50 front.

Hope this gives some food for thought. If you want the rules let me know. This is a description of techniques. You can apply your own rules.

Rich Erdelyi
    Coach Erdelyi is this your Buck Scissors? We ran this a few years ago and will probably add it this season.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Is it possible to get a cut up of this play tried drawing it up based on Coach E's rules but a little lost on what Qb is actually doing on footwork and card dealing . Would love to get a visual.

Thread Information