Thread: Pass Protection

1. Default Pass Protection

I am looking for a simple, yet effective three-step pass protection? I want something is easy for the players to learn, but also effective for a quick/short passing game. I appreciate any thoughts/ideas. Thanks!

Full Slide is easy and good for three step/quick game. Six man protection. To me the only draw back is sometimes your back may be blocking a Defensive End rather than LB.

I also think you could stick with the Keep Pass scheme for your quick game.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

PT
    GAP, ON, OUTSIDE
    (GAP vs. STACK

PG
    GAP, ON, INSIDE
    (GAP vs. STACK)

C
    ON, BACK SIDE, LB

BG
    ON, BACK SIDE, LB

BT
    ON, BACK SIDE

PE
    RUN PATTERN CALLED

BE
    TIGHT END ON, OUTSIDE
    SPLIT END RUN PATTERN CALLED

PHB
    RUN PATTERN CALLED
    (BLITZ STAY)

BHB
    RUN PATTERN CALLED WITH TE BACK SIDE
    WITH SE BACK SIDE ON, OUTSIDE
    (JET MOTION OR STRONG BLOCK 1ST DEFENDER OUTSIDE PT)

FB
    ATTACK 1st DEFENDER OUTSIDE PT OR OPPOSITE JET MOTION/STRONG HB

QB
    3 STEP DROP & THROW

Our Quick Game is our 90/91 protection. To understand the protection you must realize we have a game on both flanks. If the 3 step is covered to the SE flank the QB boots back to the TE flank with a pass/run option. We only call Blue 90 in the huddle or at the line and the SE hand signals the pattern based on the coverage with the slot running a complementary pattern ie.
    if cover 2 with soft outside coverage run skinny post/ slot arrow to flat looking over outside shoulder;
    if soft cover 3 outside run hitch/slot runs an arc/seam looking inside
    if soft cover 3 head up or inside shade run speed out/ slot runs an arc/seam
    if press coverage run a fade/ slot runs an arc/seam and breaks out @6

Here are the rules from Blue formation...TE/wing left; SE/slot right
    LT&LG: Roll technique. Protect play side gap Stay square in case of boot.
    OC/RG/RT: Fire out zone step @45. 1st man on or outside
    TE: Block C gap if blitz. If not 8-12 yd. banana seam outside. Vs. 7 technique switch assignments w/LH
    LH: Block D gap 2 counts then arrow to flat. Vs. 7 technique switch assignments with the TE
    SE: Run pattern chosen
    RH: Run complement to SE
    FB: B lock 1st outside PST. You must get his hands down
    QB: 3 step drop reading flat defender who can get under SE. Ball must me gone on 4th movement. If covered reverse pivot and boot backside reading TE down to wing with pass/run option

We also run this in the Gun. It is particularly good with trips to one flank and a SE isolated. We read the single receiver 1st and then boot back to the trips with a 3 level stretch. The widest runs a take-off, #2 runs the seam, #3 blocks 2 counts then wheels to the flat. The QB steps if right handed are left-right-throw or boot.

I spoke on this topic at several Glazier Clinics last year and will do so again if this is a good topic. Any questions call or write.

Rich Erdelyi

Default Quick Game Pass Pro

We have used Full Slide in the past but as we play tougher opponents with bigger DL we were relying on a wing or back to block a much bigger DE on the back side. We have also used half line slide to the three tec and big on big the back side with the RB helping with blitzing backer. The easiest thing that we have found is very simple Big On Big. Tackles are on 5's or outside men, Guard to the 3tec is solo and the 1tec is combo by the Center and Guard. It allows the big guys to block the big guys and the backs to block backers.

Thread Information