Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: counter off belly

Default counter off belly

What are you guys doing for a belly counter? We've had tackle trap in for last couple years and rarely run it in games, using up practice reps for something we dont do well. I'm wondering if I'm not coaching it well, or if its not really needed?

Are you guys trapping first guy outside the center (like buck trap?) or wider?

Ride the FB (slower but pulls more defenders) or proximity fake (faster, hits quicker/times easier)

I'd just like to hear from some people who are successful with it, or if you guys have cut it out.

Thanks!!!!

Off our Rocket and Jets we have a Counter to hit internal, off-tackle, corner and flank. Counter Tackle Trap off Belly action is our most efficient counter. Basically, block it same as Trap except BST is trapper. If defense reads and reacts to Trap blocking, we will tag the play with Gut blocking (BST will pull & Gut 1st LB from Center. VS Odd front PST blocks DT --VS Even front PSG blocks 1st down lineman past ball). Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Dierick View Post
    Off our Rocket and Jets we have a Counter to hit internal, off-tackle, corner and flank. Counter Tackle Trap off Belly action is our most efficient counter. Basically, block it same as Trap except BST is trapper. If defense reads and reacts to Trap blocking, we will tag the play with Gut blocking (BST will pull & Gut 1st LB from Center. VS Odd front PST blocks DT --VS Even front PSG blocks 1st down lineman past ball). Hope this helps.
    Whats the backfield action like? and how do you make it all time up footwork wise?

Wingttd,

We run two "Counter" plays of Belly. The standard Tackle Trap and Counter blocked similar to a power play. We pull the Guard and Tackle. Guard kick and Tackle leads. In the clip we had the Y wide and we motioned the Wing (defense was adjusting to motion).

Name:  1-8-2016 6-39-56 AM.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  16.8 KB

https://youtu.be/bY_Og9wwYxk
    Last edited by Coachwoods; 01-08-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------
    For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    2 Corinthians 5:7

Thanks coach. I kind of like blocking it with the guard and tackle.

When i click on the video clip it says its private. I'd really like to see it because we have been most inconsistent on how to make the backfield footwork mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by wingttd View Post
    Thanks coach. I kind of like blocking it with the guard and tackle.

When i click on the video clip it says its private. I'd really like to see it because we have been most inconsistent on how to make the backfield footwork mesh.
    The video should be good now. We ran this out of multiple formations. The best for us, RED/BLUE. I feel the Wingback gets lost in the mesh when only the Fullback is deep presnap.
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------

What are you guys doing for a belly counter? We've had tackle trap in for last couple years and rarely run it in games, using up practice reps for something we dont do well. I'm wondering if I'm not coaching it well, or if its not really needed?

Are you guys trapping first guy outside the center (like buck trap?) or wider?

Ride the FB (slower but pulls more defenders) or proximity fake (faster, hits quicker/times easier)

I'd just like to hear from some people who are successful with it, or if you guys have cut it out.

Thanks!!!!
    We love tackle trap. Should be easy to run especially if you already run FB trap off buck.

We don't have any kind of fake other than motion. FB - goes dive path to block backside B gap. BSHB - does bucket, crossover, plant and then gets handoff underneath the QB - reverse out 8 - 10 inches over midline like he is going to through rocket sweep pitch, then hands off to BSHB PSHB - goes in rocket motion and fakes rocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

so you guys are running it out of a formation with a wingback? We've been trying to get it to a diveback and it's often timed funny compared to our other counters.

Thanks for the vid by the way. Appreciate it coach!

so you guys are running it out of a formation with a wingback? We've been trying to get it to a diveback and it's often timed funny compared to our other counters.

Thanks for the vid by the way. Appreciate it coach!
    Yes,
    Wingback, Dive back, we have even motioned him in from a twins set (then he is just a wingback again). But normally from this Loose Red/Blue

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 3.28.36 PM.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  19.1 KB
    Coach Woods
    Classical Academy
    Escondido, CA
    -----------------

We run this with jet motion to give us another complimentary play off of jet sweep. It also helps you block the edge if anything chases the pullers.

Thread Information